problems with regedit, explorer and .exe files!

nibnibz

Beta member
hi
recently my computer has been having problems with .exe files, dont know how it started maybe a virus or something but AVG identified all .exe extensions for my programmes as threats and another virus scanner found them as "files not found", once this happened to a programme i was unable to access it and a windows restriction message came up. i did a virus scan and removed anything i could then restarted comp (bad idea probs =/) now when i start up my pc explorer doesnt load (even in safe mode) i cant do it via taskmanager->run prog->explorer because it gives a message "windows cannot find,"explorer". make sure you have typed the name correctly and try again". i have read on other threads that a virus could have changed my .exe directory in the registry (or something like that) and give instructions how to giude through regedit and fix it but i cant access regedit through the command prompt or by run->regedt32, if i type in run-> reg edit a box appears for a second then dissapears. ive tries doing this in safe mode too.

any help on fixing this would be appreciated, i am a bit of a noob though if you havnt already gathered ^^ so ya may have to dumb it down a bit lol.
if any more info is needed just ask plz

Have you tried gaining internet access in "safe mode with networking"?

And...what computer or browser are you using to post on this forum?

after turning off and on the pc its gone even worse, after geting about 20 secs into the startup the pc restarts itself and starts up again, even in safe mode. i think formating and reinstalling is the only way.

Since you have the files backed up already, and it sounds like you have the original operating system disk, try repairing Windows first. You must boot from the CD, and proceed through the steps as if you are going to reinstall the operating system. When you get to the page that has reinstall operating system or use recovery console, choose reinstall operating system...then you go through the "F8 accept terms" dialog and will reach another install operating system choice, or repair...choose repair and click next. It will look like it is doing a reinstall, but your old system will be there mostly intact. This procedure will repair files. If this repair completes successfully, boot into safe mode and download the link I provided previously and post the log.

Even if you repair successfully, chances are excellent that whatever caused the problem in the first place is still there and will resurface. You're best bet is to format and reinstall. The only times I have ever fixed anything running the repair console (only once or twice) is when the MBR got hosed and needed to be restored. For anything else, the repair console is pretty much useless.

I'm suggesting the repair feature so we can get the computer booting again and then check for malware and viruses. I did not expect the repair to fix everything.

If you have another computer, hook up the hard drive and scan for spyware, viruses, etc.

Then repair using the installation disk.

Back
Top Bottom