Loading Error

smcgilbery

Beta member
Hey guys first time on here so not sure if this is the right place for this question. My laptop worked fine yesterday, then today i tried booting it up and i got a MBR Error when loading i press any button and i get a operating System not found. Does this mean my windows is gone with all of my files/programs/folders???? Can someone help me out?? Thanks

Steven McGilbery

Master boot record and no OS found are problems accessing the hard disk. There could be a problem with the BIOS setting or possible hard disk failure.

How old is the notebook computer, and does it get used a lot?

corrupted hdd, loose cable, bad system files usually.

id personally check it gets detected in the bios then do a repair installation, as fixing the mbr never usually works for me, but i guess you could try it if you want (recovery console using the cd/dvd).

So how do all that stuff yall just talked about???

The Laptop is prolly 3-4 years old and gets used almost everyday just mostly for internet use....

Thanks

So how do all that stuff yall just talked about???

The Laptop is prolly 3-4 years old and gets used almost everyday just mostly for internet use....

Thanks

do you know how to get into the bios? its usually the del, esc, f10, f12 key (from my experience) on bootup (just keep pressing it as soon as you turn the laptop on). then just look for bit that tells you devices are connected, and make sure the hdd is there.

then get the vista dvd or xp cd, pop it in and boot from it (you might need to set the cd/dvd drive to the first boot device in the bios, which is easy to figure out). if using xp it tells you what to press for the recovery console once it loads up. you go through the steps and then theres some commands to fix the mbr. fixmbr is one of them. vista is a bit different.

It is a gateway model MX6027

I guess when i load XP again i will not be able to get all my stuff that was on the computer??? Or can I??? if i can how do i do that??

do what i said. repairing the mbr will make the computer boot up as it did before (unless it doesnt work). or do a repair install of xp. load up the disc and then it guides you through a repair install. it just replaces system files, but keeps all your files in tact.

that is the thing i don't know how to do what you said to do??? How do you repair the MBR???? I tried doing the repair from the disk but asked me where do i want to do it from, i have no clue of that??

Well i tried to do the recovery disk (xp) and it came up with no hard disk found....So now what???

I was told i could buy a new hard drive then buy some type of device to get the info off the old drive??? Can i do that???

Back
Top Bottom