internet questions

pepzsoduh

In Runtime
to connect to the internet with ethernet do you have to have a modem, or can you just plug it into a phone jack. if you dont, then whats the point of having a modem? and what do modems plug into?

thanks,
pepzsoduh

?
You plug the phone cable into a dial up modem.
An ethernet cable is very different than a phone cable and is generally used for networking.
Most people now use either DSL or cable internet. Both require an external modem.

ok so in my room i have a really old phone jack. if i wanted to connect a desktop to the internet with ethernet, what would i have to do?

Do you have a cable jack?

You could get 56k dial-up for about $10 a month but performance will be horribly crippled.

Might I suggest a wireless network?

whats a cable jack? we already have high speed dsl. how would i connect to it with ethernet in my room? could i do it through the old phone jack, or would i have to get something else installed.

edit: ar thats exactly what i was looking for,

whats a cable jack? we already have high speed dsl. how would i connect to it with ethernet in my room? could i do it through the old phone jack, or would i have to get something else installed.

edit: ar thats exactly what i was looking for

You might be able to, but some ISP's will block you from having more than one modem, in which case networking will become necessary.

Contact your ISP before buying anything.

EDIT: A cable jack is the round, threaded jack in the wall that you plug coax cables into for cable TV, as well as 'over the air' TV.

one more question, the phone jack in my room is super old, would there be any change in performance if i got a new one installed?
thanks for all your help

Get something like this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8639967&type=product&id=1194054018722
Since you have a modem I figure your modem is by a computer hooked up to a wire.
Take the ethernet cable (Usually yellow or blue) and unplug it from your computer and hook it into the router you bought.
Then take the router's ethernet cable (Some come with them some don't) and hook it up to the computer.
That computer is using wired internet.

For your computer you will need a wireless network card.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5333445&type=product&id=1051384697890

Plug that into your PCI Express slot.
Then you have to install it by using the CD that came with it.

Now that hardware is in, software time.
Go to the computer WITH the router, and set up a home network (Make sure it is protected, and write that password down somewhere)
Then go to your computer with the new wireless adapter, and search for network, when you find yours (You will be able to name your network) hook up to it and type password in.
Now you're set :)

Back
Top Bottom