What's The Secret?

Laptop motherboards are a whole different story. From what I understand they are proprietary and are designed for a particular use and laptop brand. They are not interchangeable as far as I know.

I also thought most things are soldered in.
You can't just pull stuff and replace, as far as I know.
I'm not saying more, I don't want to mislead.

The vast majority of them have integrated graphics chips and such. You can swap out CPUs, but your choices are limited and it isn't a job for the squeamish.

Ok you should always start from the MOTHERBOARD.
Here's where your first choice is. Do you want to make a small computer that will fit in many tight areas, or just a regular sized computer?
Now your choices are narrowed down a little.
Then decide if you want INTEL or AMD?
Intel is generally more expensive and more well known, I guess you could say. AMD however is seeming to beat out Intel at the moment.
Now your choices are HUGELY narrowed.
After you decided that you, for example want an AMD processor, you need an AMD compatible motherboard.
Now it can get KINDA tricky, but don't worry.
There are a few different processor sockets.
A quick way to avoid an hassle, is to pick out the processor your want, and check the kind of slot it goes into. AM2, AM2+, and AM3.
Now that you have your processor, pick a motherboard that has the socket your processor goes into.
Ok now you have your dream processor and dream motherboard :D
Now you need RAM.
You have to look at your motherboard specifications to see what kind of RAM you can have.
Most processors are DDR2, the newer more powerful ones use DDR3, but it will say.
Now that you know what kind of RAM you can use, pick how much you need.
Vista is usually good with 4 gigs, if you're editing 8 gigs MINIMUM. Basic internet surfing and mild gaming 2 gigs will do.
Ok now you have RAM, Motherboard, and a processor.
Now you need a hard drive, some drivers, and some fans.

All motherboards come with SATA slots that you would plug your Hard drive into, so this isn't really hard. Pick something brand name like Western Digital and decide how much memory you need. 640GB will do you plenty unless, once again you edit.
Now just pick some drivers, DVD burners are basically the norm now, and it is split 50/50 on SATA (Newer)and IDE (Old Reliable).
Most motherboards come with both, so once again not a problem.
Fans are simply, pick how much you need, place them, plug them in and you're good.
I hope I didn't confuse you, ask questions if you're lost:)

Thanks again for being so helpful! No I'm not comfused.

I'm asumming that heavy game play would require more RAM, more than 4Gig and the more the better? Any other reason to have more than 4 Gig of RAM?

Sounds like I should stay away from laptops. Someone should make a standard form.

The "standard" form is ATX. They just come in a couple of different sizes.

For gaming 4GB is just about the sweet spot with Vista. Larger amounts of memory really help with video/picture/music editing and CAD designing.

Laptops are nice. They are fairly configurable from the manufacturers. They aren't really meant for gaming, but there are a few that are very capable gamers.

I have no problem with laptops.
I have 5 of them. They're great for web surfing and light computing, but unless you want to spend a LOT on it, a desktop would be better. IMO, get a decent desktop, and a very cheap netbook. My Eee 900a was only $165 refurbished, and I am very happy with it.

Thanks again for being so helpful! No I'm not comfused.

I'm asumming that heavy game play would require more RAM, more than 4Gig and the more the better? Any other reason to have more than 4 Gig of RAM?

Nah, four gigs is good for gameplay, in the future it won't but for now and for a year or two more it will be fine. Besides you can always add on if it's not enough or you get more demanding of your computer.

Sounds like I should stay away from laptops. Someone should make a standard form.

For building yes, but they are very helpful.
Basically it comes down to what you need.
Portability=Laptop
Power=Desktop
Lowe Price=Desktop

It depends on what you are looking for, pepzsoduh.
Some people want some very special things from their mobo, ex. 3 way sli, etc. In tht case, yes it is best to build off the mobo.
But in general, yes I agree the CPU is the starter for most rigs.

Back
Top Bottom