Cheapest option for mobile internet for laptop?

AT&T's mobile broadband is $39.99/month for unlimited.
I have it on my netbook.
I considered tethering, but it was only $5 more to get the full-fledged mobile broadband, so that's what I did.

I have tried to use my IPAQ pda and dialed into an ISP and using the PDA as if it is a modem in a computer. I can get free internet connection but for some reasons it is really slow. I can read emails.

Anyone know why it is so slow?

Has anyone used virgin mobile broad band? With verizon/tmobile, I need to sign a contract which I can't do under the circumstances.

Yeah.
Data rates are horribly slow on PDA's
They shrink the website so they only load what they need to for it to function.
Not all the ads, etc.
Get a USB modem from AT&T.
Thats what you need.

is internet traffic compressed? What if I setup a proxy software in my home server and have it relayed a compressed version of a website that I requested in the field? Since I will use my mobile internet to look up text, compression will save a huge amount of bandwidth.

is internet traffic compressed? What if I setup a proxy software in my home server and have it relayed a compressed version of a website that I requested in the field? Since I will use my mobile internet to look up text, compression will save a huge amount of bandwidth.

Give that a try.
I have no idea if you will be able to get it working, but I would like to know.

Do you get my idea though? I'm sure somebody thought of it and made a software to do that.

I think virgin mobile broadband is a good choice for me.

Is it possible to use the usb modem from verizon with virgin moble? Virgin's usb modem cost $150 and I see used verizon modem cost around $40.

Back
Top Bottom