RAM question Please Help!

fertogo

Baseband Member
Hello,
My computer has 2 ram modules:
a 512MV
and a 1GB
Totaling 1.5 GB of RAM (Physical Memory)

I checked on the system inforemation tool and it shows the following:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM: 1.50 GB
Total Physical Memory: 1.25 GB

Does this mean my computer is only using 1.25 GB of ram?
Also on task manager is says

Physical Memory (MB)
Total 1277

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit version

how do I get windows to use all the avaibable ram?
Why is windows only using 1.23 GB of ram when there is 1.50 GB installed.

Thanks
~Fertogo

Soon I will change my 512 MB ram module to a 2GB so I want widows to take advantage of all the ram I have
Please Help me

What it probably means is that your video is using some of the RAM. Unless you have a seperate video card, the onboard video shares the RAM with the computer.

Your video card is using 0.25 GB of RAM. There is no way to reverse that (at least, none that involve having a video card). If you want more RAM, use Windows Readyboost.

Remember two things though:

-Vista NEEDS 2 GB of RAM to run smoothly

-Vista can handle no more than a grand total of 4 GB of RAM (including the RAM being used for the video card).

Your video card is using 0.25 GB of RAM. There is no way to reverse that (at least, none that involve having a video card). If you want more RAM, use Windows Readyboost.

Remember two things though:

-Vista NEEDS 2 GB of RAM to run smoothly

-Vista can handle no more than a grand total of 4 GB of RAM (including the RAM being used for the video card).

That is not true. I have a friend who is running vista on a quad-core computer with 8 GB RAM. Vista can handle as much as you want it to with the right processor.

Vista can handle no more than a grand total of 4 GB of RAM (including the RAM being used for the video card).
That is not true. I have a friend who is running vista on a quad-core computer with 8 GB RAM. Vista can handle as much as you want it to with the right processor.
Partially true. 64 bit vista (or anything) can use practically as much RAM as you throw at it as long as it has a 64 bit processor (which it needs to run anyway.) 32 bit address spaces however are limited to around 4GB (2^32), in practice this shows up as less in vista, usually a bit over 3GB. That's the general rule anyway.

The limit isn't to do with the fact it's a quad core or anything like that, it's all in the number of bits.

Partially true. 64 bit vista (or anything) can use practically as much RAM as you throw at it as long as it has a 64 bit processor (which it needs to run anyway.) 32 bit address spaces however are limited to around 4GB (2^32), in practice this shows up as less in vista, usually a bit over 3GB. That's the general rule anyway.

The limit isn't to do with the fact it's a quad core or anything like that, it's all in the number of bits.

This much is true. But you must remember that Vista's kernel is a resource hog, most other OS's will be able to hold any amount of RAM if they have a fast enough processor.

This much is true. But you must remember that Vista's kernel is a resource hog, most other OS's will be able to hold any amount of RAM if they have a fast enough processor.
Agree that Vista is a resource hog. Disagree that the speed of the processor has any effect on the amount of RAM that you can use!

Back
Top Bottom