Wireless Shows Connection But Internet Won't Work

Austic

Baseband Member
A few days back my brother-in-law asked me to reset his router because he couldn't remember the password to access it. I did a hard reset and I tried to connect again but failed. The connection says it is stable and is receiving wireless, but when I open my browser it just says "Connection Could Not Be Found." I tried to see if it would connect through ethernet to the modem and did in fact but the router wouldn't work. I tried repairing the connection, disabled firewalls, pretty much everything I could think of and to no avail. It is a relatively new router (Linksys WRT54G2 v1) so I don't think there is a problem with it.

There was probably connection information inside the router that was setup by the ISP (Internet Service Provider). Call them and see if there is something special (a type of connection like PPPoE or a static IP) that needs to be setup in the router.

The other thing you could do before you call them is to power cycle both the modem and the router. Unplug both and plug the modem in first, let it boot up, then plug in the router. See if that helps. If not, I'd call the ISP and see if there is something that needs setup in the router. If the ISP doesn't need anything special, post back and we can help some more.

Back
Top Bottom