Setting up RAID

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys.
A bunch of you already know I'm getting a new system (I've posted a whole bunch of topics relating to it already), and one of my plans is to use my existing hard-drives to setup RAID on the new system.

I have two 200GB Seagate Drives (SATA), and one 320GB Seagate Drive (SATA). I would like to use the 320GB drive without RAID, as the OS Disk, and then setup the two 200GB drives in RAID0 (Stripe).

How do I go about doing this? I'm tossing up between Vista Home Premium 64-bit and XP Professional (I own both), but would *like* to upgrade to Windows 7 sometime in the future. Do I need a floppy disk drive? Will a USB floppy disk drive do?

Thanks
Rhys Andrews

It's simple. you will have to plug all of the hard drives in, go into your BIOS and enable RAID on on the appropriate SATA slots.

Your motherboard manual should have a section in the back on how to enable and configure the RAID controller and installing the drivers. The needed drivers should be included on the software CD that came with the motherboard.

Here's a nice guide on configuring a RAID setup: How to Set Up RAID on Your PC

@Atomic Rooster
I don't plan on using any form of RAID on the Boot Drive, do I still need RAID drivers?

Only secondary / storage drives will be in RAID.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer that for you. I don't know enough about what is involved with the different types of RAID configurations. I'm sure the mobo manual and the guides may have the answer.

Back
Top Bottom