Installing CPU cooler question

pitbull30

Baseband Member
I am putting together a AMD barebones kit.

I put the CPU in. Then I was installing the CPU cooler that came with the AMD chip. Chip went in no problem...

When putting those brackets around then mother board cooler brackets it feels pretty tight... then you have to push that lever down to tighten down & lock in the whole thing- it feels pretty tight and hard to push down.

Im alittle concerned with the pressure on the motherboard.

Is it supposed to be that way? or should it be easy?

hope I explained that right....

Thanks

That's sounds correct. It does take a bit of pressure to attach the heatsink. They seem tight, but that's what is needed for a good contact between CPU and heatsink. All the ones I have done are like that.

I just thought it felt to tight, I was being real careful putting in the motherboard screws so I wouldnt overtighten. Then when I got to that part it seemed too hard.

Once again, the Atomic Rooster has helped me out.

Thanks.

Hmmmm..Was looking at the motherboard manual and it says "recommend a power supply of 600 or higher or the PC can become unstable. This kit from Tiger Direct came with a 500 PSU.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs

Did I get screwed here...

Yeah 500 is plenty.
Most AMD mobos have a plastic riser under the CPU socket so when you put pressure on it, the board doesn't bend much before the case stops it.
Does yours not have that?

Hi Foothead & Atomic Rooster,

I didnt check for a riser. Everything is in. I am just waiting for some case fans and I will power it up and do the setup. Hopefully that goes well.

Also, I called Tigerdirect prior to your responses and the guy on the phone said the 500W was more than enough despite what the ASUS book said. So you guys just confirmed it.

I was actually impressed because the guy seemed knowledgeable compared to other places you call for tech questions.

Thanks

Yeah both tigerdirect and newegg have good support.
ASUS tends to tell people way too much power because people will say something like 'oh then 50 watts less wont make a difference' then on their nextbuild they'll say 'oh well its only another 50 watts. It was fine before.' That's why.

It's not a "riser". It's a backplate that is used underneath the CPU socket that helps spread the pressure exerted by the cooler across a wider area.

Oh yeah....they're tight.....LOL I could hardly get my thermaltake volcano onto my old processor. The heatsink was so big that some of the parts of the motherboard were in the way of me getting a screwdriver in there and angled right to properly install the heatsink. You're using a stock cooler so it's a bit smaller and easier.

Back
Top Bottom