I want to remotley log into server from my pc

jjimenez101

Solid State Member
Hello all,

I am having a bit of a problem. I am a student at my local university, and as part of one of my courses, we are required to perform our labs from home by remotley log in to the university's servers and use the lab software available there.

Before, on my old computer, I had windows XP and I downloaded Xming and Putty and used those two programs to remotely log in with out any real problems. I now have a new computer with windows Vista 64 bit, and I went ahead and downloaded the same two programs again. But I have not yet been able to access the software program for my lab from this computer. I get some error message like:

X connection to localhost: 10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shut down)

I have no Idea what that means. Is it a problem that I am using windows Vista 64 bit rather than windows XP?

Please advise. Thanks in advance..

Hello,

Actually, I think those links would be helpful if I were trying to connect to another desktop PC that is running windows.

In my case, I am trying to remotely log in to a server that is running Linux..

...I am having a bit of a problem. I am a student at my local university, and as part of one of my courses, we are required to perform our labs from home by remotley log in to the university's servers and use the lab software available there...

Just a thought...

I know this isn't really that helpful, but I would check with the university's system administrator or IT department. They probably have to deal with this kind of problem all the time and should be able to get you squared away.

If you have to log into a linux computer there are a couple of options. If you need to be able to see what is on the desktop then you will want to use VNC. If you don't need the desktop and know your way around a teminal using commands then you can SSH into the computer and run everything from terminal.

Cheers!

I do the same thing but I've always used SSH (Secure Shell) to log in remotely. Keep in mind it's only text based.

Ok, so lets keep in mind that I am a "Dummy" when it comes to these things.

So, basically I don't need to know what is on the desktop. Usually what I do is log on remotely, then a command line window pops up, in the command window I type in some commands that open up the software application that I need to use. Then I get busy with my work.

With that said, I assume I only need SSH. But, doesn't the program PUTTY do this? If so, it is not working for me.

If not, then what do I need to install on my PC to use or run SSH?

Thanks

So I tried it again using PUTTY, here are my results:

1) When I use PUTTY on a Windows XP PC, I can log in and access the remote sofware that I need to use.

2) When I use PUTTY on a Windows Vista PC, I am able to log in successfully (From what I can tell), but when I type the command that should open up the software, I get the same error message:

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (Explicit kill or server shutdown)

Can someone please explain why this is so??

Thanks again

Try running the programs as Administrator. Right-click and do run-as then admin. See if that helps any. Vista is goofy about that and even if your on the admin account sometimes you still have to do this. If this works, you can set the shortcut to run as admin always. Let me know if it works or not.

It's possible taht the program you trying to run is not compatibly with Vista 64 bit. Best thing you can do right now is make sure that it is not a compatibility issue by contacting the school's IT department.

Just from working at my school's IT department I know that 50% of our stuff is not compatible with any 64-bit OS.

Back
Top Bottom