Movie Piracy.

root_assassin

In Runtime
I Was reading an article on physorg.com this is what it said

Camcorder piracy - which occurs when moviegoers bring a camcorder into a theater to record a movie from the screen - is a rapidly growing illegal activity. In the US, camcorder piracy has been illegal since 2005, when the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act banned the use of recording devices in theaters. Nevertheless, according to the Motion Picture Association, camcorder piracy causes an annual loss of $6.1 billion to the movie industry.

$6.1 BILLION!! That seems pretty high to me, Do you guys think that is accurate or the M.P.A.A is just upping the amount? It has me wandering. And also the M.P.A.A has admitted to making "Human errors" once people questioned the numbers they have posted in some other cases.

I doubt it's that high... I mean there are a lot of people downloading films and junk.. But how many of those downloaded films are from that method?
I know all of the ones I have seen none of them have been from that. (That I could tell, unless the dude dong it was perfect I doubt it)

I'vee seen some pretty good pirated movies. I've also heard that some are so bad you can see the heads of the people sitting in front of the camcorder.

Lets do some math.

Now, this math will be flawed because it doesn't always happen this way. There are several ways of pirating movies.

Say you copy a DVD that you bought and posted it online, gave copies to your friends, etc. The DVD cost you, say, $20. That's it. That's all the movie company, store, or whatever, gets. Say 300 people got a copy of it from you via torrent or giving it out. That's a low number depending on the movie though. That's $6,000 lost by the entertainment industry. Multiply that by the thousands of movies that there are. You would have to multiply my figure over 1 million times to get to 6 billion. Now given, some movies cost upwards of $50 even $100 for collectors editions, some all the way down to $5.

I highly doubt movie piracy is that bad.

Lets do some math.

Now, this math will be flawed because it doesn't always happen this way. There are several ways of pirating movies.

Say you copy a DVD that you bought and posted it online, gave copies to your friends, etc. The DVD cost you, say, $20. That's it. That's all the movie company, store, or whatever, gets. Say 300 people got a copy of it from you via torrent or giving it out. That's a low number depending on the movie though. That's $6,000 lost by the entertainment industry. Multiply that by the thousands of movies that there are. You would have to multiply my figure over 1 million times to get to 6 billion. Now given, some movies cost upwards of $50 even $100 for collectors editions, some all the way down to $5.

I highly doubt movie piracy is that bad.
I agree with the math,and DVD copying is more of a problem than camcorder, i cant imagine the figure ever being over 1 billion let alone 6...It dont make any sense, what is the point of the M.P.A.A lying to us AGAIN?

Isn't it a pain in the ass to download a DVD? I'd rather spend the $10.00 and be over with it. Same goes with a CD.

I think what really hurts the movie industry is when movies like X-Men Origins: Wolverine are being uploaded to the public before it is out in the theater. I bet some heads rolled over that!

I think the figure could easily be in the billions, yes. There are loads of films out there, thousands of people hosting them and even more downloading them. But whether that impact is just from this method i dont know.

I've seen pirate films where half way through the films you could see people walk to the toilets, but this is rare.

Does that figure include Adult films? Just curious.

The Adult film industry can have interesting economic influence. The camel that broke the betamax back in favor of VHS was the adult movie industry. At the time, VHS was cheaper. When the adult movie industry went with VHS, it was a devastating blow to the betamax format.

I wouldn't think that adult films suffer as much as mainstream films do from movie piracy. Mainstream movie have a much broader audience. But, that's just my guess.

Back
Top Bottom