Windows 7 Question

ahhh, so after i "wrote" the files onto a DVD, i went to My Computer and clicked the DVD drive and clicked on the folder where the ISO file was on... and inside that folder i saw several other folders in it with a couple of files(dont know what they are) did i burn the ISO file correctly? i used the ImgBurn that Atomis Roaster recommened

ImgBurn usually sees a good burn. Atomic Rooster made a good call on the basic light weight burning program to use. That will also burn iso images for GParted and Linux distros reliably. I used that along with other programs to see good results.

The image here shows what the contents look like for the 64bit RC when double clicking on that for a view.

isocontents.jpg

The second here is for the 32bit RC.

iso32contents.jpg

Now let's take that one step further to compare the contents for both and look over what you are seeing on the dvd you burned for the basics to see if all the main folders and the few bootmgr, setup.exe files are there.

isossidebyside.jpg

I marked the two with 32 and 64 since there is one additional item found at the root on the 64bit RC. In order to verify and even if you verified each individual file to see if it made it on the disk(thousands! compressed) that wouldn't show if they saw a good burn or the blank itself was toast.

One tip when having problems with burns is to set the burn speed lower when possible. That helps maintain the file integrity. Don't worry I've tossed a few coasters at times from bad blanks even placing a 50ct container where it belonged(recycle bin of some type!) at time! :p

cant see the pictures you posted above :S, all i see is a litle box with an X in the middle, lol..i wanna make sure i downloaded it correctly and burned it onto the DVD right, because when i build my rig and find out that i didnt do the download/burn correctly it would suck for me,since id have to buy a copy of Vista XD

Try rebooting your computer to the DVD drive that has the newly burned DVD in it. If the Win 7 setup starts, you've done it right. You can then just pop the DVD out and reboot like normal. Just don't install anything. :D

That's usually an active x control not working when all you see is a red X or the page isn't fully loading up. With 7 you will need to download and install Java as well as the Adobe Flash Player if you are not seeing prompts for it to be installed.

Meanwhile I decided to try posting how the installer's splash screen should look when booting from the dvd to see you can view this one ok using a different image host for it.

http://i.windowsforums.org/pics/9e888239a3b531783b3632dc9d0d00ab.jpg

Here's the two RCs compared side by side again in case that was the problem before.

http://i.windowsforums.org/pics/0d71c5582f11d1867d61740cdf32ac3c.jpg

Sometimes when you can't attach or insert images you have to post a separate link for viewing. If you have WinRar on or another archive viewer/packer like Winzip only for iso images like ISO Commander or something like that you can also browse through the folders you see there even further while still being compressed.

I have another image here that will show how it looks inside the resources folder on the 32bit RC.

http://i.windowsforums.org/pics/73f87d1bf2b91d1b32a1bc65916ec416.jpg

Another method for seeing 7 installed if you continue to have problems is the use of a separate partition or drive like a usb external where you use WinRar or another unpacker to open all the files and folders onto the spare partition or drive.

All you do from there is simply run the installer's setup.exe file to upgrade or replace an existing installation of Windows. The upgrade part is only advised at this time for the lack of a working dvd/dvd drive when that's the only way to see 7 installed.

If you still have problems and feel another download is needed simply go back and go for it again! You still have a good 6 weeks left for that.

In fact simply going back for more then one number out of the 15 total for the 32 and another 15 for the 64bit can avoid running into one problem seen here on the first night the RC were available namely the key for the 32bit RC!

You should be good to go now but let us know how things turn out for you.

Back
Top Bottom