Is it time for x64?

Grantofhell

Fully Optimized
I'm still undecided as to whether I should run a 32bit OS or a 64bit OS. I'm very tight on security, and I'm aware that 64bit OS's don't have much in the way of virus protection. But the major pro of XP x64 is the boot time and system processing capabilities. The major downside is low program compatibility. I don't really want to dual boot because of that annoying screen that pops up to let you choose which OS to boot. I want my boot time to be under 10 seconds. So I can press the button, grab a can of soda and it will be at the desktop when I get back. Mine does this now (sort of) but I want more out of my system, too.

Help me guys. I r so indecisive :|

I have been really enjoying Win 7 64 bit, but I figured play time is over for now and installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I was really amazed that I didn't have any problem running programs with Win 7 64 bit. Vista 64 bit has been the same, but I've only had it installed a couple times for an evening. Tonight I'm installing my full complement of software. I'll report any problems.

I'm not sure of the differences between 32 and 64 bit operating systems with regard to virus protection. I've alway run AVG or Avast, and have been careful not to do anything too stupid and have never had a problem.

I switched over to Vista x64 a while ago and never looked back. It boots quicker than XP Pro IMO and I haven't had any issues with viruses and crap. All I run are Windows Defender and AVG free.

Just those two? Stick with XP 32-bit then. It's not worth the hassle. Besides, I've heard of too many problems with drivers and program compatibility with XP 64-bit.

I'll give it a shot on my new drive when I get it to see how I like it. If I don't, I'll just clone my current OS.

Back
Top Bottom