The Itch To Upgrade.

Adam91

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,

I bought a new dell studio (540) and I love it. However, I really wanted to build my own rig, so instead I doing that, I just want to upgrade my own system for awhile.

Here are the stock specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
4 Gig Ram
Nividia 9800GT

The computer is running great. It did crash twice playing WoW, but that is over with. What are some upgrades I could do to make it run stronger?

Thanks

Nothing really. You're pretty much set for a while. You could buy a new motherboard and heatsink and overclock your processor.

I didn't want to to do anything with the motherboard, maybe help it cool better?

I'm just bored, and I have to upgrade anything and everything I have.

How loud is it? If you have to upgrade it, I'd do cooling or grab some more hard drives for extra storage space.

You could buy a new motherboard and heatsink and overclock your processor.

My experience says that'll be harder than you'd think. The dell's I've worked with in similar cases had proprietary power/led connectors so you were forced to either mod the connectors or stick with a dell MB.

My experience says that'll be harder than you'd think. The dell's I've worked with in similar cases had proprietary power/led connectors so you were forced to either mod the connectors or stick with a dell MB.

True, but some Dells have standard ATX power connectors. Its only the HARD DRIVE that is annoying to migrate to new NON-Dell MOBO's. I upgraded my bosses PC's that were Dell dimension Celeron based systems, to Athlon 7750's and I had to transfer files and settings to get stuff off the HDD

maybe get another graphics cards and sli if you have another pcie in your mobo, or maybe get 2 more gigs of RAM or something

Nothing really. You're pretty much set for a while. You could buy a new motherboard and heatsink and overclock your processor.

Rohan, You talk about wanting to neg rep that guy for suggesting the 4890 atomic for a workstation. And here you are talking about "overclocking a Dell". Really?

I would buy an aftermarket cooler anyways. Just be sure it's the stock S775 design holes. Dell does weird things with their computers for absolutely no good reason.

Rohan, You talk about wanting to neg rep that guy for suggesting the 4890 atomic for a workstation. And here you are talking about "overclocking a Dell". Really?

It's called replacing the motherboard as he mentioned in his post. That's the only thing keeping you from overclocking a Dell or any other pre-built PC with a locked BIOS unless you can find a BIOS with overclocking settings unlocked.

If you game a lot, the only thing I can think of, is a better graphics card, but it seems like your not stressing about slow down's, etc.
Plus, these pre-built machines don't tend to have much in the way of a great power supply. They tend to be built to just about withstand the pressure being exerted on them.

Back
Top Bottom