alienware

I like their products, just not their prices. WAY overpriced. I do personally think most of their stuff is cheaply made. They use some crappy OEM parts in their higher end builds.

I would buy a $12,000 Alienware computer if I was rich just because I could lol but normally, no, they are way over priced as Rohan said and you could build your own for a much much lower cost.

I like their products, just not their prices. WAY overpriced. I do personally think most of their stuff is cheaply made. They use some crappy OEM parts in their higher end builds.

Really? I mean they are run by dell. Does dell do that?

@OP No we don't hate alienware we just prefer to build our own computers.
Alienware is really nothing but a case company that will build a computer for you.

No, the systems are cool, and I agree that they look awesome. But the prices are way out of sight for what you get. You are paying for the name and the fancy look.

Alienware is really nothing but a case company that will build a computer for you.

Yes, dell and alienware both do that, along with every other premanufacturer that doesn't build custom machines. Whenever I've popped open a dell or alienware i usually cringe at the site of the cheapest motherboard i've ever seen. Alienware uses the most basic asus boards available, along with HP. Dell uses crappy intel oem boards. Their standards are not for longevity, but to get through the 1st year of the warranty and make the money. Cutting initial costs means more profit, and that's their goal.

LOL I would be happy if that's all dell does. My mom bought a dell with 1gb 800mhz RAM. It came with 4 256 mb sticks of 400 mhz RAM. No dual channel support. It was also maxxed at that 1gb. There were options to add more RAM. WTF?! What did they do if she had upgraded? Knowing Dell, they would have just added the extra gb even if it couldn't be used.

long story short. I hate dell computers.

What do you mean by crappy OEM parts? OEM parts are MADE for companies like dell... They arnt going to want all of the packaging, manuals and heat syncs are they?

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here... ;P

Anyway, IMO Alienware IS overpriced. Most people here will tell you never to buy a pre-built computer, But I'd have to disagree. If an old woman wanted to get a computer, your not going to tell her to build it are you? Some people just dont want to put that much time and effort into building their own computers.

Sure, it would make a LOT of sense if your going to spend thousands of pounds - you'd save a heafty amount. But when you can get a PC for £300 that does everything you want it to do, then many people wouldnt want to save that £50 and have to put the computer together themselfs.

If an old woman wanted to get a computer, your not going to tell her to build it are you?

I think Alienware would be a tad much for an average old woman :p. I'd tell her to get a Compaq or Emachines and a Jitter Bug.

Back
Top Bottom