Setting up A Home Server

GergOGerdy

Beta member
Hello all,

So i'm setting up a home server on an old desktop i got. I'm pretty sure i'll be going with debian, although been looking at centOS also ( any opinions on those two welcome). But i was wondering what would be a good control panel for use with Debian?

Thanks

For either distribution, you could use Webmin. It's pretty good, and can save a lot of time.

Here is the main difference between the two OS's. Debian is entirely its own Linux distro they create all their own .deb packages etc. CentOS is esentially RHEL with out the support option. The community behind centos is made up of a lot of Red Hat employees and other.

They are both very good OS's depending on what type of server(s) you are wanting to create will help us help you decide.

Cheers!

windows server 2003 runs very fast and easy to navigate around easy to setup ftp protacals and rmeote access ect ... :) that would be my reccomendation for the ease of it.

windows server 2003 runs very fast and easy to navigate around easy to setup ftp protacals and rmeote access ect ... :) that would be my reccomendation for the ease of it.

The down side to that is that it cost money. Money that some of us don't have.

That is also a good fair point wmorri, if you dont have the capital to get such a program try using ebay, amazon ect to get a cheaper copy evan if this not possible I would reccomend getting webmin, its easy and a more relaistic option for you.

I agree that webmin is a great program. Not to sound like a bastard, but I have found that reading through the config files and setting things up that way has worked quite well. I have also learned a lot about what is really inside a server or program.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom