600 Watts of Fury!

They are said to be nice, but I can't justify the small performance increase over a high end C2Q for the cost it takes to build one.

I have a system sitting on my newegg shopping cart for $1500 with a 24'' 2m monitor..and that price includes every peripheral I need..speakers, Heatsink, all the little things included..

My old(er) box is going to a friend at a very modest price, so either way I'm upgrading. I understand quadcores are not fully utilized, but if one were to build a new box in the current market, why would they not get i7. High end C2Q's would run me very similar prices at this point and would be outdated sooner.

Is there something new coming out that I should be waiting for that I haven't heard of yet?

Thanks again Ya'll!!

He has two OC cards and will most probably be overclocking his i7. It's a 130 watt chip. It uses quite a bit of power when overclocked. I would know, I have one.

Yes, lol. Intel is discontinuing all but the I7-975 and releasing Hexa-cores.

Are you being sarcastic? Or are they really discontinuing all those lines?

If that were true, I'd be almost set on i7..I'd like to wait for i5...but that's quite a wait and my only other option is my macbook pro...COUGH

:)

And honestly, the only REAL price differences lie in the CPU..just under $300 is pretty steep, but the i7 mobo is $200 and 6 gbs of ram at $100 is a pure drool fest..so I don't see how a "high-end" C2Q is going to save me a bundle.

It won't. A high end C2Q build will cost more than an I7 build but can outperform an I7 at certain things. Depends on how many threads the app can support.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. They are discontinuing every I7 except the 975E. (btw, the Core I5 will be slower than the I7 and it will be on a different socket.)

Back
Top Bottom