600 Watts of Fury!

Iontheable

In Runtime
Quick question ya'll, would a quality brand like OCZ or PC Power and Cooling 600 watt PSU be powerful enough for an i7 system with dual gtx 285's?

Thanks!!

No, it would for an i7 with a Core 216 SLI setup with everything on stock clocks. I would go for at least 850 on a quality power supply.

850 really??

Not to try to discredit you or anything and I certainly appreciate the quick response, but can anyone else attest to this?

I have another box that is core2duo, with dual 4870's on a 700w PC Power and Cooling with lots of USB peripherals.

Does i7 draw that much power? I believe I read it was a hog..or is it solely because of the 285's?

Thanks!!

Price-wise, this is amazing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341003

Plenty of OC room at 850 I would imagine.

But my question now is this, I'm used to PSU's with single rail design, this has 4 +12v, any downsides to this?

If everything is running at stock, I'm sure you'd have no problems, but that's no fun is it? :p You'd want to have some room for overclocking.

Bear in mind that Nvidia/ATi etc exagerate the power requirements in order to compensate for the huge amount of poor quality PSUs around.
this has 4 +12v, any downsides to this?
Only in very extreme cases would one of the rails be overloaded, you'd be fine.

Yes but no. I suggest single rail systems if possible (or dual rail). Corsair is a well-known Manufacturer. And I certainly agree with Rohan, 800+ watts.

Oh hey worship, glad you dropped in, thanks!!

Can't wait for this i7 build, if you remember worshipme, you helped me a ton on my last build some months back, p5q-e, core2duo, dual 4870s

It was under the handle "toole" though I believe

Anyways I got a little extra money and I want that i7 like a bum wants booze

I CANT WAIT!!

They are said to be nice, but I can't justify the small performance increase over a high end C2Q for the cost it takes to build one.

TBH, I think 800W is ridiculous.

Test Setup:

CPU Intel Core i7-965 3.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 SLI
Hard Drive Intel X25-M 80GB SSD
RAM 6 x 1GB DDR3-1066 7-7-7-20
Operating System Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1
PSU PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200W

Back
Top Bottom