questionsss

pepzsoduh

In Runtime
will triple channel RAM work in a dual channel RAM motherboard?
and will AM3 CPU's work in AM2+ motherboard i heard they have the same layout but am3 has two less pins.

most AM3 CPUs work in am2+, but triple channel wolnt work in dual channel, well, atleast not as well as it should. 1 channel is 3 slots in triple channel, and in dual channel its 2 slots.

Yes, but you will only be able to use two sticks if you want to run it in dual channel.
and will AM3 CPU's work in AM2+ motherboard i heard they have the same layout but am3 has two less pins.
AM3 CPUs have a DDR2 and a DDR3 memory controller so they are backwards compatible with AM2+ boards.

Yes. There is no physical difference between "triple" channel and "dual" channel memory. It's all the same stuff. It's just marketed different as dual channel operation requires at least two memory modules, whereas as triple channel operation requires at least three modules.

will AM3 CPU's work in AM2+ motherboard i heard they have the same layout but am3 has two less pins.
Yes, socket AM3 CPUs are fully compatible with socket AM2+ motherboards. They have both DDR2 and DDR3 integrated memory controllers. You're correct in that they have only 938 pins.

You cannot use a socket AM2/AM2+ CPU on a socket AM3 motherboard because of the pin differences.

Back
Top Bottom