What do you guys think?

The 4870 X2 is perfectly capable of that. Make sure you motherboard supports Crossfire, though. It should have an Intel-based northbridge for that.

I'm unsure if that's your best option. I haven't really been keeping up with video cards and such, but I know that 4-way Crossfire is incredibly inefficient, especially when you add that last card. Make sure you look through all your options--Nvidia and ATI.

...and make sure your video card suits your need. If you're gaming, then yes, go for something powerful. If you just want to run two monitors it's completely unnecessary. If you're doing Photoshop and such, there are special (and expensive) cards for that. Sorry if you mentioned this stuff already; I'm too lazy to read the damn thread.

Also, I would like to stress that just because you have the money to build this prowess, doesn't mandate that you should. Just because it's paragon to every consumer computer on the market, doesn't mean you need it. I had the budget to build my desktop that's listed below, but I don't ever use any of that power. I'm a student--I don't play games, I don't need a 3.6 GHZ processor nor a 10,000rpm hard drive; it's all useless to me. It's nice to have the power, and to think to yourself "IT'S SO FAST AND AWESOME, AND IT BOOTS UP NOT IN SECONDS, BUT IN MILLISECONDS." But let's be reasonable and not give in to our consumer-whorish tendencies, shall we?

Again--I haven't been following computers for about a year, so I'm a little uninformed right now. But it seems to me that your $1.5k CPU @ 3.2GHZ would perform only marginally better than something more than a thousand dollars less and so forth. Computer power vs. price seems to follow an exponential curve where, rather tragically, price finds itself on the left axis.

Make informed--and intelligent--decisions.

I do agree, but since this is for work and it is not my money, i think those parts will works alright, if it were my money i would be content with 4-6gig ram and a core 2 duo extreme

He could run a pair of GTX 295 cards in SLI. The motherboard doesn't support three way SLI.

Man dual CPU, dual video card and 16GB of ram. If that aint overkill, I dunno what is.

the only bad thing about Skulltrail is that you will only be using 1 CPU for the SLI
the other cant help send information to the GPUs because there is only 1 FSB!
just thought you should know
IMHO you should get something like a Foxconn Bloodrage, or EVGA CLASSIFIED mobo
with a tripple crossfire of 4890s
and 12 or 24 GB of DDR3
and an Intel I7 965 CPU
all with a 1200W PSU
a bluray rom
i would go with 250 GB SDD HDD in a RAID0 + RAID1 Array
yes thats 4 250 GB SATA II SSD HDDs
all on nothing less than a 24" LCD monitor
now that is what i would do
if you need links let me know :D

the only bad thing about Skulltrail is that you will only be using 1 CPU for the SLI
and 12 or 24 GB of DDR3
and an Intel I7 965 CPU
all with a 1200W PSU
a bluray rom

that sounds good, whats the cost for that all?

HOLY!!
$8000?
What the hell are you gonna be running?
You can run FOUR Crysis at the same time with that much power.
Seriously what are you going to be using this for?
I kinda think this is a little wasteful, but hey, If i had that much money to blow, I would probably do the same.

and 12 or 24 GB of DDR3
and an Intel I7 965 CPU
all with a 1200W PSU
a bluray rom

Yea,Some links would be good,Thx!

cpu-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115212
mobo-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188048
ram-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231260
gpu(x2)-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130504

or if you want get dual Asus mars GTX 295 dual 4 gigs of video ram graphics cards
only $1,700 a piece

where the hell do you work any way?

Good question. I'm going to apply there. By the way, Nate. Your card should arrive late tomorrow or Tuesday afternoon depending on the driver's route. I included an EVGA SLI bridge which is about 5-6 inches long. You might have a little extra.

You know those guys that are checking the moon for water?

[Just kidding...I couldn't help myself]

I thought I was throwing money at my computer. root_assassin could teach me a lesson or two about that!

Your definitely going to have to post photos of your system after you build it.

Back
Top Bottom