Looking For an Flash Drive

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I am looking for an new flash drive. I currently have an PNY Attache, and it is kind of slow processing my work. At first, I was looking for one that was fairly fast when it comes to big and small files, but then I remembered I don't transfer my large files often.
The kind of USB flash drive I am looking for are one that has a fast read/write for small files. I plan on using it for eclipse, and doing/keeping my programming work on it, and an occasional Firefox portable when I am using another computer. Also, one that is able to be kept a long time would be nice.
I read some reviews on the Patriot Xportor, and its awful when it comes to small files, but fast on big files, so this one won't do. Though I still might pick one of these up later.
So, any recommendations?

SanDIsk and PNY are the two usual names seen in just about any retail store. I was fortunate to grab a Kingston 16gb before one office supply store stopped carrying them altogether to only stock the other two!

PNY stinks! When not finding any more Kingstons I tried out the other two. The PNY draws more on any usb hub for a start while you won't see the SanDisk auto launcher software even after reformatting the flash drive entirely. But SanDisk for a lower cost brand works.

Hello,

first of all i would like to say that i dont recommend any thumbdives with the u3 system on it unless you want to pay money for the apps because you cant get good apps on it for free and second of all it makes it load slowly.

if you want to put on firefox portable i suggest portableapps.com

now onto the thumbdrive...
if you want security you can get the old ironkey

this is a good one: 16GB ReadyBoost USB Drive
if you dont need that much space you could get this one: DSE 4GB or TOSHIBA 8GB USB Drive V3

ReadyBoost USB Drive or DSE 2GB ReadyBoost USB Drive
by the way i picked those on price but also focusing on brands that are reliable.

i think for your needs you should get the 16GB ReadyBoost USB Drive or the TOSHIBA 8GB/16GB USB Drive V3

Teny, most USB flash drives are pretty pathetic with small files, IMO. I think that transfers are going to come down to a difference in seconds...not 10 minutes or anything. I'd still recommend the Patriot or the Corsair (both 16GB or 8GB versions) that I linked you in the chit-chat.

You should also look in to a micro drive. It's a 1" drive that is on a usb plug. The pricing has come way down so might merit a look.

I was looking at these tests, and I am thinking of getting the OCZ Rally, but the endurance factor isnt as good as the Xporter, it got the worst (9), while the Xporter got an 61.

Sisoft Sandra 2008.1.12.34 Removable Storage test
A.jpg

Notes: More operations per minute indicate better performance.

The Rally isnt that far behind from the Xporter, and seems like an overall good flash drive, but I wouldnt think it would last very long.

Source
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=543&pageid=3

How would I go along with connecting the micro drive in terms of portability? (connecting to any computer available on campus), Might be a hassle using that flash reader thing.

I don't like that review Teny. They are comparing a 32GB drive with 2 and 4GB drives (which they note are some of THE fastest they'd ever tested). I think it would've been a better review had they tested it against some other 16 and 32GB drives....

Here out of the bunch I have a 16gb of each being Kingtson, SanDisk, and PNY. The Kingston is the preferred if that helps any.

It also depends on the model of each brand not size alone when making a comparison. Some of them run upwards of $500-!

I still say the OCZ Throttle, it /does/ have the USB 2.0 ability and when you finally add that eSATA port on yours it will transfer at SATA II speed o_O

I don't like that review Teny. They are comparing a 32GB drive with 2 and 4GB drives (which they note are some of THE fastest they'd ever tested). I think it would've been a better review had they tested it against some other 16 and 32GB drives....

I found this article, it seems like the OCZ Rally2 beats the Xporter most of the time. All three are 32GB.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/print/32gb-usb-flash.html

here is the one with the 4GB (most likely the size I am getting)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/4gb-flash-roundup_11.html

I kind of want to get both the Rally2 and Xporter, but I can only get one for now, and I dont really have use for another except maybe for backup in case one dies. But since Rally2 wins with smaller files, I might just go with that one, and pick up an Xporter later.

Here out of the bunch I have a 16gb of each being Kingtson, SanDisk, and PNY. The Kingston is the preferred if that helps any.

Kingston does seem like they make nice flash drives, but it doesnt seem to be as fast as the OCZ, but I will keep Kingston in mind while researching.

I still say the OCZ Throttle, it /does/ have the USB 2.0 ability and when you finally add that eSATA port on yours it will transfer at SATA II speed o_O

Problem is that the computers at my campus, and my laptop doesnt support eSata, which are the ones that I will be doing most of my work on.

Back
Top Bottom