Interesting Medical Case of the Week.

Thelis

Golden Master
In our first installment, we will be looking at a 76 year old woman who presents to the clinic with tingling along her spine on forward flexion of the neck. She also states that she has been having numbness and pins and needles in her appendages for the past 3 months.

She mentions a progressive difficulty in the memorization of certain things, and has an unsteady gait. After being examined, it is determined that she cannot walk steadily in the dark.

These symptoms are textbook to nerve regression which is customary in people of her age. However, just to make sure, a Sagittal T2-weighted magnetic resonance imaging, or as we know it, an MRI is taken.

These were the results:

11f1.gif

Those arrows point to a hyperintense signal in the dorsal spinal cord, or a bunch of nerves overacting. This clump stretches from her C2 to her C5, or simply for a very long stretch.

Her blood tests show a B12 deficiency, in fact her B12 level was so low it was below detectable range.

She responded well to B12 injections, and in 6 months she showed immense strides in improving her memory, balance, and sensory function.

is this a real patient? because if it is I'm suing you for malpractice right now.

#1 don't talk about the patients
#2 no writing on the walls
#3 obey all rules

is this a real patient? because if it is I'm suing you for malpractice right now.

#1 don't talk about the patients
#2 no writing on the walls
#3 obey all rules

I imagine that since he only just started the course that this is course material rather than an actual patient.

I imagine that since he only just started the course that this is course material rather than an actual patient.

You would be correct in that assumption. Actually it is a real case that was released to the public for research and personal study. There are no non-disclosure clauses on it.

I am going to post up and annotate a medical case that I find interesting every week. I thought it would be interesting to the people here that are into medicine.

If medicine doesn't interest you, or you find my explanations too simplistic, you are free to ignore this thread.

Back
Top Bottom