Building your own computer, don't be scared!

yes!
lets show the people that you dont have to be a 'geek' or a 'nerd' to build your own pc
and put Dell out of business :D

id run crysis, COD isnt really that hard on hardware,
maybe do a furmark or a Vantage run?

second person to say that about crysis. I may have to pick that up. I was running COD because it came free with my video card.

I was also wondering, is there a good "one stop shop" online maybe that will make sure I have the latest drivers installed? I'm just running the ones that were on the disks right now.

would save some time when I get home from having to google them all individually.

second person to say that about crysis. I may have to pick that up. I was running COD because it came free with my video card.

I was also wondering, is there a good "one stop shop" online maybe that will make sure I have the latest drivers installed? I'm just running the ones that were on the disks right now.

would save some time when I get home from having to google them all individually.

Just to be sure go to Nvidia.com and check if your 285 is up to date, same with your MOBO and bios from Asus.com. Or, you could use some of the freeware driver download programs, there are SOME decent ones, I use one thats not free, but works well, its called Driver Professional. But it depends. Go to the websites of your MOBO, video card, and download the latest.

Crysis is a good ood title to test, although I would do a Vantage run. Thats how I checked my 3 machines.

8GB in a tri-channel setup? Are you sure it's not 6GB?

Anyway, you should overclock it. And take pics of it.

Congrats, I'm building my first soon!
Can we see specs?
Lazy way to build=Dell.com/Customize your PC
Cool way=Buy parts :D

I guess the whole point of this now getting long thread is: if you are looking into doing this and you are scared you will mess it up, don't be. If everyone knew how easy it is then Dell would be out of business in a week.

I will never buy a pre-manufactured computer again!

and thanks to everyone that replied to my posts.

I have always built my own computers as well and personally i would never buy a prebuilt desktop for myself however for some people they want the additional warrenty or support that companies like Dell and HP offer .For instance if my computer breaks i have to figure out which part is faulty and then decide if i can return it under warrenty eetc etc whereas if your dell breaks all you do is call them out and they come do all the hard work for you

going to build my first comp soon, what do u guys think of the specs?
The comp is mainly designed for watching movies and playing games.

GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
640GB WD
4G Kit-800(2x2G) Kingston
896M GTX 260 Gigabyte
LG SATA DVD-RW
COOLERMASTER EXTREME 650W
ANTEC 300

Back
Top Bottom