Messed up!

Kage

Golden Master
I'm having such a lot of bad luck with this computer...

As you may know, I had one drive fail about 2 weeks ago, but I was running in RAID 1.
I used the Seagate Disc Wizard that was free to transfer the data from the one remaining working drive, to one of the new drives.

I then proceeded to connect the two new drives together, and create the RAID 1 volume, which worked perfectly.

PROBLEM:

Well, today/last night, I managed to delete a program, and part of the registry, involving a certain 'Bonjour Service', which upon restarting my computer wouldn't let me on the net, Steam wouldn't start up, and MSN wouldn't, etc
NOTHING I did restored this.
I even downloaded Bonjour to my mobile (part of Apple apparently), and transferred to my PC to find that Bonjour is apparently needed to install programs, because I apparently didn't have the admin rights to install it.
So, I went through all this hassle to no avail.
System Restore couldn't do anything/safe mode wouldn't let me install anything either/starting up the system took quadrouple the time, and didn't even come up with icons until 5 minutes in, when everything started to freeze.

So anyway, I decided I would use the remaining drive from 2 weeks ago, when one failed to start from 2 weeks back (effectively going back in time), so first, I decided to backup data I had saved in these 2 weeks onto the remaining drive, from one of the new ones.
That's the simple bit.

Now, I proceeded to try to copy over, using the same program onto the old remaining drive to the new one (I didn't format, I thought it would do it automatically).

It seemed to work anyway and I disconnected the old drive. Connecting the new one up however, with this other one, to create the RAID 1 volume again, and everything kept freezing when it came to the program to create it, and I couldn't get anywhere, so I reset the PC, and pressed Control I to bring up the RAID setup.

I decided to create a new RAID volume from here instead... which yeah, it supposedly wipes the drives, so I thought 'thats okay, I would have to reformat them again anyway'.

So now, I connected up the old remaining drive again to use, with one of the new ones to format and, and then copy the data over...

HOWEVER, Windows can now not see the new drive even though its in the Device Manager (listed as inactive), and only the remainder is up!!!

I've had no sleep, I'm tired, and I really want this fixed :( But its giving me such a hard time, I don't know what to do :(

Have you tried setting a volume label for the drive? Can't remember how to do it, a quick google search should help. Happened to me before with the external hard drive.
EDIT: Vista or XP?

Only just got up, but I managed to get the drives recognisable by deleting the RAID 1 on the computer start up.
Using the Diskimage software, I was then able to format them into NTFS.

Hopefully now, I'll be able to turn off this 320GB, turn on both 500gb's. One with the image on, and one with it off, and sync one up...

EDIT:

Its syncing up now, but I have reason to believe, that one of the 500gb drives I bought is failing also...

EDIT 2:

Well, its all up for the moment... heres hoping it stays that way :(

Back
Top Bottom