Lets see how pissed It can make you...

vampist

Fully Optimized
Alright... I have tried to wrap my brain around this for a quite a while now..

I have a laptop, a Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400.
The head phone jack will only work in one ear, the left.
The sounds in Windows Vista Home basic does not work.
I dual boot ubuntu, sound does not work in that either.
I have tried installing new drivers, and drivers over again.. With no luck.

Alright.. Ready to be confused and pissed? At least it makes me mad.. Of course it's my laptop :cool: .

I went into the trouble shooter that seems to be in the bios or before windows.
Sounds works just fine.. Left, right, both perfect.
Now I use a usb sound card to get sound.. But I would like to use my laptop speakers again..

Whose got an Idea?

I'm guessing the headphone port or the headphone plug are screwed up. Have you tried another set of headphones or speaker set in that port?

I'm guessing the headphone port or the headphone plug are screwed up. Have you tried another set of headphones or speaker set in that port?

Indeed. Four difference audio cords, about three different headphones, and my guitar cable with a converter on the end. All the same results.

I did get the idea that maybe the headphone jack is messed up and the computer thinks the headphones are plugged in at all times.

Way to disable the disable speakers to test this theory?

Are the built in speakers working at all?

The only way I would think of disabling the speakers is through the sound properties.

Even though the speakers and the headphone settings are independant, when you plug in a head set the speakers will disconnect. If the jack is stuck it will act as if a head set is plugged in.
If yours has a line out jack try plugging in a set of powered speakers. If you get sound out of that then the odds are good the head set jack is kaput.

No the external speakers do not work unless in the trouble shooting thing.
Then they work just fine.
While in the trouble shoot would it disable the speakers if headphones where plugged in?

@seti, No line out =/ only a line in and headphone.

I'm thinking it's a bad solder joint on the headphone jack. It thinks headphones are connected, so it turns off the speakers. But when headphones are actually connected, it doesn't work because of the solder joint. Some thing similar happened to a friends computer before.

I'm thinking it's a bad solder joint on the headphone jack. It thinks headphones are connected, so it turns off the speakers. But when headphones are actually connected, it doesn't work because of the solder joint. Some thing similar happened to a friends computer before.

That would suck.. I have taken it apart and it looks A-O-K.

Back
Top Bottom