Building your own computer, don't be scared!

woody84

Baseband Member
I named this thread so maybe somebody googling or searching the forum will find it quick.

until 2 weeks ago I had put RAM and a video card into a computer. (both just plug in and worked)

found a sample build on this forum and tweaked it a little, then ordered all parts from newegg.com. parts came in and I freaked out a little asking questions on this site, watched some you tube videos.

took about 4 1/2 hours to build, and that is with spending an hour on you tube trying to figure out how to put the cpu grease on before I found that it was already on the cooler from the factory :rolleyes:

yesterday turned it on voila! went into bios, set to boot from disk, Vista is running and updated.

I guess the whole point of this now getting long thread is: if you are looking into doing this and you are scared you will mess it up, don't be. If everyone knew how easy it is then Dell would be out of business in a week.

I will never buy a pre-manufactured computer again!

and thanks to everyone that replied to my posts.

I will never buy a pre-manufactured computer again!.
You and me both.

Congrats on your first build. Once you have that first one under your belt and know what all is involved, it seems like a piece of cake. At least that's the way I felt after my first build. It only gets easier as you do it more too.

People shouldn't be afraid to build a pc, nowadays you can't hook things up wrong, most everything only goes one way. Ram is keyed, ribbon cables are keyed, cpu's only go in one way. It's pretty hard to mess something up.

hehe unless you are like my cousin....he mounted his motherboard and had the back of the mother board touching his case...he shorted out his motherboard and had to buy a new one lol

Congrats on your first build! There is NOTHING like building your own rig. The pre-builts like Dell, HP, Gateway etc are rip offs, and you never know the brand of some of the components that go into those PC's. With your own, YOU supply the parts, and YOU know whats inside! AGain congrats on the build! What are the specs if you dont mind sharing?

Congrats on your first build! There is NOTHING like building your own rig. The pre-builts like Dell, HP, Gateway etc are rip offs, and you never know the brand of some of the components that go into those PC's. With your own, YOU supply the parts, and YOU know whats inside! AGain congrats on the build! What are the specs if you dont mind sharing?
Yeah, how bout some dirty details, whatcha got?

be as indepth as u wish :) lol

my custom PC id like to think would beat up on any stock from the store PC under 1500 bucks, an it only cost me around 600ish

Intel i7 920 2.66ghz
8G Ram
ASUS P6T Deluxe Mobo
1 TB WD HDD
GeForce GTX 285
Antec 1200 Case (really helped install, thing is HUGE)

still have not really gotten to stretch her legs yet but I ran COD last night on full graphics just to check the temps and the GPU didn't get above 70c

I only have pics on my phone right now, I plan on taking some more here soon.

Intel i7 920 2.66ghz
8G Ram
ASUS P6T Deluxe Mobo
1 TB WD HDD
GeForce GTX 285
Antec 1200 Case (really helped install, thing is HUGE)

still have not really gotten to stretch her legs yet but I ran COD last night on full graphics just to check the temps and the GPU didn't get above 70c

I only have pics on my phone right now, I plan on taking some more here soon.

DAYUM! That's a very nice build! And congrats on it! I too will never go back to manufactured :D

Back
Top Bottom