Should I use 64 bit Windows vista on new build?

woody84

Baseband Member
I'm going to starts assembling my parts today quick rundown:
intel i7
6 gb ram
1 tb hd
1 gb graphics

should I get the 64 bit Windows or 32? not even sure what the diff is?

Will it he hard to find drivers in 64 bit for my new hardware?

Unless you have any particularly old hardware, I wouldn't worry about drivers. With that amount of memory you'd have to go with a 64-bit operating system to get the full benefit of it. I didn't notice anything bad about the 64-bit version of the OS in comparison to the 32-bit version (although I liked neither), so it'd definitely be worth going for, in my opinion.

no everything is fairly new ordered last week. I have heard stories of things not working well.

this is my first build so I don't want to keep things simple.

I would go with the 64 bit since you are using 6gb of ram. The problems with drivers is not as prevalent as it once was. just about everything produced now has 64 bit capability. The problem with drivers was when 64 bit first came out since a lot of things didn't support it at the time. Most new hardware has been designed to work with either or. The only things you will find a problem with is most of the older hardware. Things like old printers, network cards, and add ons to the system. But since you are building it all new now anything that is designed to work with an I7 will have 64 bit support. If you have any questions about printers or anything else you could just go to their website and check for 64 bit support.

If you aren't in a hurry, you may want to download and try Win7 64 bit RC. You may like it.

did the same thing your doing about a month ago and went with VISTA 64.
i run a lot of different programs and everything went very smoothly.
i'm not super impressed performance wise as there are some minor hiccups here and there but that has NOTHING TO DO WITH 64 BIT but rather VISTA as a whole.
so go for it dude!

ps, i am eagerly awaiting win7 64 :)

Back
Top Bottom