Which AM3 mobo is better?

well in order to get your 955 to 4.2 I really think your going to need to rethink your board options. I can almost guarantee you won't hit 4.2 on any of those boards unless all of the parts you get are hand picked. My board is better than all of those boards and I can just barely get 4.0 stable with my cooler and that is pushing it with the vcore.

I am not saying it can't be done but I am telling you that you need to be a serious overclocker and know what you are doing, well to atleast have it 24/7 stable. The better of the ones you have would be the ECS black and the Jetway IMO because they have the SB750 instead of the SB710. Honestly out of those I would go with the ECS if you plan on keeping it for a while because the max ram the Jetway supports is 8gb while the ECS supports up to 32gb.

well in order to get your 955 to 4.2 I really think your going to need to rethink your board options. I can almost guarantee you won't hit 4.2 on any of those boards unless all of the parts you get are hand picked. My board is better than all of those boards and I can just barely get 4.0 stable with my cooler and that is pushing it with the vcore.

I am not saying it can't be done but I am telling you that you need to be a serious overclocker and know what you are doing, well to atleast have it 24/7 stable. The better of the ones you have would be the ECS black and the Jetway IMO because they have the SB750 instead of the SB710. Honestly out of those I would go with the ECS if you plan on keeping it for a while because the max ram the Jetway supports is 8gb while the ECS supports up to 32gb.

With my ECS black, I can get my 9600 to 2.85, and stable. I don't really want to try higher, as it is still on stock cooling.

I am going to have a 2x92mm heatsink on it.

Yeah, about the RAM I am going to have 8gb right of the back, but I don't see me ever needing more than that before time to build a new PC (probably in 2 years)

well I will tell you that your going to need more of a heatsink than that. There is a big difference between the 9600 and the 955. the 9600 is a 95w chip and the 955 is a 125w chip. With my xigmatek with dual 120mm fans the best I can get it down to is 55 under load and that is not even at 3.8ghz. Which HSF exactly are you going to be using because I am having a hard time thinking any HSF with 92mm fans is going to cool that chip anything near what it needs to be at 4.2ghz.

And BTW I am speaking to you from experience with the 955. It is not that easy to overclock the chip so you are going to need some good experience with overclocking to get it up there. It is going to be much more than just changing the multiplier and the Frequency. I mean you might have got a better chip than me but from what I have seen even some of the extreme overclockers are having trouble with these chips. It might get better with later bios updates and technology.

What RAM are you getting also?

well I will tell you that your going to need more of a heatsink than that. There is a big difference between the 9600 and the 955. the 9600 is a 95w chip and the 955 is a 125w chip. With my xigmatek with dual 120mm fans the best I can get it down to is 55 under load and that is not even at 3.8ghz. Which HSF exactly are you going to be using because I am having a hard time thinking any HSF with 92mm fans is going to cool that chip anything near what it needs to be at 4.2ghz.

And BTW I am speaking to you from experience with the 955. It is not that easy to overclock the chip so you are going to need some good experience with overclocking to get it up there. It is going to be much more than just changing the multiplier and the Frequency. I mean you might have got a better chip than me but from what I have seen even some of the extreme overclockers are having trouble with these chips. It might get better with later bios updates and technology.

What RAM are you getting also?

Ooopss..nvm its a 2x120 the vigor monsoon heatsink.

I am getting 2 of the kingston dual channel 1333 4gb kits, but if thhere is something that is signifigantly better that doesn't cost too much more, I wil get it. Also, I plan to transition to water cooling, but I can't afford that quite yet.

This one:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X

I has DDR3 support, the 790X/SB750 chipset which is a great performer. You can also enable the extra corest on the X2 and X3 Phenom II AM3 processors.

I am going to buy the 955 since I plan to do some pretty hardcore OCing on it, so that doesn't matter to me. The ECS has 790x/sb750 also, but it, IMO, is a better board.

Well personally I would ditch one of the RAM kits and go with a higher quality board. But I mean that is up to you. The board is more important than an extra 4gb of ram that your honestly not even going to use. The difference in performance is going to come from a better board and not so much from RAM. I mean is there a reason why you are getting 8gb of ram? I have 6 and there is no difference from 4gb at all. I mean since the phenom II only supports dual channel its not really adding much anyways but 8gb is just unnecessary IMO.

Well personally I would ditch one of the RAM kits and go with a higher quality board. But I mean that is up to you. The board is more important than an extra 4gb of ram that your honestly not even going to use. The difference in performance is going to come from a better board and not so much from RAM. I mean is there a reason why you are getting 8gb of ram? I have 6 and there is no difference from 4gb at all. I mean since the phenom II only supports dual channel its not really adding much anyways but 8gb is just unnecessary IMO.

OK then. Recommend one.:D

The ECS has 790x/sb750 also, but it, IMO, is a better board.
Huh, I never heard somebody say that ECS made a better board than. . .

They have always been considered "throw away" boards. You know, the one's you get at Fry's with the killer CPU/mobo combo deals. You keep the CPU, and then throw away the cheapo ECS board (or sell it to some unfortunate soul). ;)

Yeah i gotta agree with AR here. I actually have that Gigabyte board and I don't think I would trade it for that ECS board unless you can show me some serious reason to.

If you were or are really serious about doing some serious OCing with that CPU than you would have done some research and found that the best boards for pushing that CPU are the 790FX boards. There is only a few to chose from and ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, and DFI are the only manufacturers that offer them AFAIK.

Im not trying to be a d!ck here but that ECS board wouldn't outperform that Gigabyte that AR linked. Its not all about the processor when doing extreme overclocking. You have to figure in the NB heatsinks, layout of the board, features, BIOS support and options, among many other things. To optimize or achieve what you are talking about your going to need to step up that board. Also what are your ambient temps like. Is your room Air conditioned? Cuz If BR is anything like where i live it gets pretty damn hot during the day time and that has a huge effect on cooling since an air cooler can only bring the temps down as far as the normal air temperature.

If you push that chip too much your going to need to bump up the NB, and voltage, CPUVid might help a lil with lowering temps and getting stability but your board is ultimately going to be one of the most important components in a quality overclock.

Back
Top Bottom