Adding a core to my computer(Plz Help)

HitchHiker

Beta member
I bought a new desktop a couple months ago(HP Pavilion AMD Athlon X2 5000 Dual-Core 2.6GHz Computer) but it is only dual-core and is slower than it thought is was going to be befroe i bought it... I would like to add a core or two depending on how much they cost, so i was wondering where i can buy them and who could install it for me.
Thax much in advanced :D

I bought a new desktop a couple months ago(HP Pavilion AMD Athlon X2 5000 Dual-Core 2.6GHz Computer) but it is only dual-core and is slower than it thought is was going to be befroe i bought it... I would like to add a core or two depending on how much they cost, so i was wondering where i can buy them and who could install it for me.

It's not that simple. You have to install a new processor. You can either get a faster version of what you have, or upgrade to a phenom depending on what motherboard you have.

When you say "Adding a core or two" are you refering to actual physical cores?

I don't think your motherboard has physical slots for two physical cores.

When a cpu says dual core on it, its "virtually" dual core. What you can do, is upgrade your current cpu to something thats clocked higher. Or if u are willing or know how too, OverClock that cpu higher.

And seeing its an HP, you can contact HP and find out how much they will charge for you to get an upgraded cpu.

Hope that helps abit.

to my knowledge, you cannot just "add a core" you will need a new CPU, and you will have to make sure that the new CPU will fit into your Mother Board or you will have to replace that as well. newegg.com is a good place.

You may have better luck getting more speed by adding RAM first, especially if you just bought the computer new a couple months ago.

do you have a good spyware / antivirus program? that may be a cause for slow speed.

When you say "Adding a core or two" are you refering to actual physical cores?
I don't think your motherboard has physical slots for two physical cores.
When a cpu says dual core on it, its "virtually" dual core.

Yes, the physical part of the core... if it doesn't have slots then how do wee know how many there are in the computer? what if we are getting ripped off? and they just say it dual core but really it only has one?

Yes, the physical part of the core... if it doesn't have slots then how do wee know how many there are in the computer? what if we are getting ripped off? and they just say it dual core but really it only has one?

I imagine that when you start your computer you can go into the BIOS and check for sure.

Im going to assume you are using Windows Vista. Press CTR+ALT+DEL, open up Task Manager, click on the Performance Tab. If you see 2 blocks under the "CPU Usage History", that means you have dual core.

Well before you go adding a new processor what ammount of memory does the computer have . Adding more memory is usually a cost efficient method of speeding up certain parts of the computers operation
When you say slow what do you mean is it slow when you load more than one program or is it like slow at rendering a video etc

Also if this is a HP when you bought it did you remove all of the HP crapware that comes installed on the computer that usually makes for slow operation

What tasks are you using thic computer for that processor should be able to handle most day to day tasks with little to no slowdown

Back
Top Bottom