Wireless Presentation Gateway?

jtx222

Beta member
I was handed a project at work and need a bit of assistance, here is the problem i need a solution for.

I would like to network 12+ netbooks and a projector together for presentations and training seminars.

one of the netbooks is going to have a powerpoint presentation or a training video on it that is being shown thru the projector on a screen in one of our lecture halls, the idea is that the 9 board members on stage (with the presentation being show behind them on the wall) will be able to face the audience and not have to turn around to see what the speaker at the podium is showing on the screen behind them.

At first we thought to get each member a LCD similar to a teleprompter however because we don't a bunch of wires and we want a mobile solution that can be deployed at multiple locations. This idea died within a few days.

Here is where i am stuck. I get the 12 notebooks and a wireless router, and network the computers then i could use a "wireless presentation gateway" to share the presentation from one netbook to the rest of the netbooks in the network so they are all seeing the same thing at the same time, and possibly have the capability to then start a presentation from their netbook that the rest of the group would see and would be show on the screen thru the projector.

I am not experienced in this area and have been racking my brain for a week on how to implement this or what software I would need. Would i need to do this over the internet or could i keep in just on the LAN. Any advice would be great, our current hardware/software vendor is being of no help. I have called around and searched online and i feel i am missing something.

Does any one have any ideas?? or a better route to go??

Another idea would be to let everyone bring their own computer (or use yours), and share the presentation by converting it to HTML (there are several programs that can do this). Just setup an Apache web server on one of the computers, and the rest of the computers can connect to your intranet site. The best part is that they will only be able to browse to your site and no others.

Holy crap that is a hard one.. Wow.
So you pretty much want something like this.
An Admin that is controlling the Power point and a bunch of users watching it.
But at anytime a user can take control of the Admin status and then they control the power point?
Admin - User - User
User - Admin - User
User - User - Admin

Whoa.. I will be honest.. I have never seen this done. Then again this is the first time I have heard of a "wireless presentation gateway"... Thanks for the new info... :p

From the looks of it the WPG would be the best bet. I really don't know of any other way you can do this..

Unless you only had ONE net book that was the "controlling" or "admin" net book, and just kept that one at the podium.
Have the net books on little stands in front of the chairs the people are sitting in or something like that.

I have never even seen this scenario..
But it is a really good idea.
Like I said.. I have not seen this done..

Sorry I can not be much of a help. I am sure some one on this forum will know. :)

EDIT:

Another idea would be to let everyone bring their own computer (or use yours), and share the presentation by converting it to HTML (there are several programs that can do this). Just setup an Apache web server on one of the computers, and the rest of the computers can connect to your intranet site. The best part is that they will only be able to browse to your site and no others.

But then you would have to switch between the projector source.
eg. Laptop one, laptop two. Because he wants multiple people controlling it.
Unless he does the Idea I mentioned (one controlling computer).

Back
Top Bottom