how do I connect my pc to tv?

I've tried both VGA and DVI to my Plasma and I can tell you hands down the DVI smokes VGA. IIRC correctly, this is because VGA has to be processed/converted into an analog signal and then back again when it reaches its destination; resulting in some loss of quality. Whereas, DVI/HDMI stays digital all the way.

The "loss of quality" you describe should be hardly noticeable. There's something else in play. I've had long stretches of 50-75 feet VGA cords that were able to carry a high definition signal to various projectors. I doubt DVI/HDMI could do that without any adverse effects.

The "loss of quality" you describe should be hardly noticeable. There's something else in play. I've had long stretches of 50-75 feet VGA cords that were able to carry a high definition signal to various projectors. I doubt DVI/HDMI could do that without any adverse effects.

Well, I guess if his TV is 75 feet away, he'll know to go with VGA :p ..jk.

But, anyways, DVI/HDMI maxes out at about 75 feet, IIRC...and then to go beyond, you simply need a repeater. But this isn't surprising. It's digital (either on or off, you get the signal or you don't). VGA is analog--kind of like analog sound...you can run 100+ feet of speaker wire and not have any hiccups (like standard radio, you can get a signal a long ways away; as for it's quality, that's a different story..if you get what I'm saying).

I guess it's for him to decide, but for me, VGA isn't my cup of tea as I work with Photoshop and watch enough HD movies to notice the difference.

But, anyways, DVI/HDMI maxes out at about 75 feet, IIRC...and then to go beyond, you simply need a repeater.

I'd say 50 feet is the maximum length, and that's stretching it.

I guess it's for him to decide, but for me, VGA isn't my cup of tea as I work with Photoshop and watch enough HD movies to notice the difference.

LOL, the difference is very negligible. You're probably noticing the placebo effect. It doesn't matter whether or not you're working with Photoshop or watching high definition content. That's neither here nor there.

hdmi on my pc

There probably isn't a native port. Do you have a DVI connector? If so, you just use a DVI-HDMI converter. They usually come with your graphics card (if you have one you've purchased) or they can be had real cheap. Have you checked to see if you have an HDMI port on your TV though? One on your PC won't do much good if you don't have a port on your TV :p

Back
Top Bottom