Swapping identical motherboards w/ XP

itsdaveonline

Solid State Member
Okay, i have an Dell XPS 410 and i was wondering if i could simply buy a motherboard off ebay off an identical xps 410 that has a larger processer such as the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600. My current setup has a core 2 duo at 2.4ghz

First of all can i just swap the motherboards? would windows still work? (i have xp home edition) It seems the ones being sold have the same chipsets.

And is there a large difference between the 2.4ghz dual core and the 2.4ghz quad core? is it worth say spending 70-80$?

Would i be able to just drop in the new motherboard and windows should boot up? Will i need to re-install all my programs etc...??

This is kinda a cheaper way to upgrade my proccesser haha.

And is this going to be relitivaly easy? i have done hard drive upgrades / ram stuff / new dvd drives etc... And im fairly experienced at computers

You should be able to drop in the new board if they are identical and have the same options and components. XP should boot right up without a problem.

I really can't tell you if there's a large difference in performance between the dual core and quad core. If it's a Pentium dual core, then the difference should be great. If it's a Core 2 Duo, I don't think it will very much unless your running video edithing apps and such.

Hmm okay, thats promising to hear. Thanks for the quick reply!

So my computer says its a "intel" Core 2 CPU 6660 @2.4 Ghz

I assumed intel and pentium were the same

And does anyone else know if this is worth the money (70-85$ish) Thanks for the help so far!

(edit) if i wanted my computer faster would ram be a better investment? I want to keep this computer for a while and i just want to get some beefier hardware so this computer wont be outdated in 2-3 years. I do use my computer for recording programs, photoshop, and occasionally i run chief architect.

The Core 2 Duo E6660 is a very good performing CPU. What is the quad core CPU you're considering?

Intel makes the Pentium line of CPUs. They are not quite as fast as some of the Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

It would be the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600, im guessing its almost the same since mine is also a 6600 but only a dual core. I figured id cheat installing & buying a new procceser and save money/have backup hardware.

Either that or get the 2.66ghz version of the processor i have now. But would going from 2.4 to 2.66 be a good investment or have a large performance effect. sorry i keep on editing!

I'm pretty certain you'll see a noticeable improvement with the Q6600 in PS and your recording and design apps. They'll make better use of the multiple cores.

More memory is a good thing with those types of apps. How much do you have now?

i have 2 gigs of memory (DDR 2 i think) and my computer has 2 more slots free. I think my PC can only do 1 GB per channel. So at tops it could do 4Gb but thats still probably plenty?

Hmm, it sounds like swapping motherboards to the one with the quad core it might be a good deal and a pretty good upgrade though. I will admit my computer is really not that sluggish, but i want to treat her to something nice :)

You would be well served adding another 2GB of memory to that. It will help increase your rendering speeds.

If they are exactly the same boards, why not just swap out the processors and sell the unneeded mobo and CPU?

Hmm well swaping proccesors seems kinda scary that i can break something. I would also have to buy new thermal compound (i think) and risk damaging 2 motherboards :(

But if i just sold my "old" motherboard with the slightly slower dual core it would be the same effect? Im selling a identical motherboard with the same procceser either way. Just i might run the risk of xp not working with the "new" motherboard. Haha who knows, but it should work in theroy.

Hmm well swaping proccesors seems kinda scary that i can break something. I would also have to buy new thermal compound (i think) and risk damaging 2 motherboards :(

But if i just sold my "old" motherboard with the slightly slower dual core it would be the same effect? Im selling a identical motherboard with the same procceser either way. Just i might run the risk of xp not working with the "new" motherboard. Haha who knows, but it should work in theroy.

what?

Back
Top Bottom