Fixing a DVD drive that won't open

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alright, so, this is a long shot, but does anyone know anything about fixing DVD drives. I had to buy one for a customer to replace this one because it's broken. At first, it would open and then as it was closing would reopen again. Now, it won't open at all, it just clicks. I'll upload a video on YouTube and update this. If you don't know the answer, it's not a big deal. I just figured, if I could get it working, that's great since it's a DVD burner.

Sounds like it might have some broken teeth on the gears inside. Or maybe the gears themselves are broken.

Sounds like it might have some broken teeth on the gears inside. Or maybe the gears themselves are broken.

That's my thought. It's all opened up on my desk right now. I'm slowing getting down to the nuts and bolts of it. I've got the main board out. The other thing I was thinking is if the motor is dying/dead. Since it USED to open (and fail), and now it's not opening at all. They are pretty tiny, but I know I've got a crapton of them lying around from other stuff.

Vid: Every time you see the mechanism pop up, it's trying to open. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVWlWimaRs

Meh. I'm not gonna do anything else with it. Not worth it. There ribbon cable is about shot anyways. It's going to break while taking it apart.

Anyone know if the IDE pins are gold or just gold-plated?

lmao, They will just be gold plated :D. If they where solid gold, then I would probably be melting mine down :D

Back
Top Bottom