Creating a Home Server (Help)

TheLampMan

Beta member
Hello.

My home network is expanding and I would like to make a home server that I could store files and applications on it.

How would I go about setting one up? What would I need to build it?

I have a PC already and specs are as followed:

512mb of RAM. 1.6ghz Processor. Some crappy radeon graphics card. and a 250gb HDD

Could I make a home server with this? It doesn't have to be fast I would just like the experience of building on.

If there is any more information you need that would assist you please let me know.

Thanks, TheLampMan.

That is fine. You can use either windows server, or do the best way, and get ubuntu server edition. Just install, and follow the directions. It's that simple.

If it's for basic things, then FreeNAS is pretty good. It's not TOO hard, but you'll probably need a bit of help.

Thanks for your answers people :) I'll let you know how it goes. I think I'll try Ubuntu server just because I already run Ubuntu 8.10 on my PC now. BUT Will it make any difference that some of my other PC's run Windows XP?

it shouldent make a difference if you install samba on your server

It won't make a difference if you get samba up and running properly - this lovely piece of software means that when your windows boxes look at the linux one, instead of going "ew, some linux stuff there, let's stay away" they go "ooh, another nice windows box, i'm happy to share with that one!"

FreeNAS is great, dead easy to set up and then you just do everything through a web interface. If you want to ever use it to share more than files though, you can become a bit unstuck... a stripped down linux distro will take longer to set up but should perform just as well, and will be more flexible should you require other server duties in the long run!

User12, the last post in this thread was over 2 months ago, you're not meant to resurrect old threads :D

Back
Top Bottom