Thinking of getting a netbook for september

muz

Golden Master
Ok so basically heres my situation
In september im going to uni depending on a few things that either means im moving out and to a new town in september or i will be staying at home and traveling to uni everyday or im moving out into a new place but living in the same town .
I was thinking if im going to be moving into a new place i probably wont take my desktop computer seeing as my laptop does everything i want quite happily so i was thinking of taking the laptop to wherever i might be living next year having that connected up to a 22" monitor and a keyboard and then having a netbook to basically to take to lectures etc with me so that i can make notes whilst im there . Most netbooks have an sd card slot so i was planning to take the notes save them on the sd card then put the sd card in my laptops sd card slot copy the notes over for printing and reading on a full size display
Might be used as well to watch downloaded films or downloaded tv when im travelling to visit friends and elatives , i have friends going to a few differeing universities so i would be spending a little time on trains , maybe 1-2 hour journies but not much more
How does that sound do you think its a workable situation i know these netbooks arent meant for full time usage but i think it should be ok for what i described right ?
Also can anyone reccomend me any netbooks at the moment ive heard about the acer ones and i read a review of a fujitsu one in a magazine today even though that seemed to be at the top end of my budget
Just so you know my overall budget for this will be about £150-£200
ive been looking at a few such as this one http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=5358&CategoryID=11&SubCategoryID=395
That one is 8gb , wouldnt really be bothered about too much storage capacity in it seeing as i wouldnt be storing much on it
im not really bothered that its a rework but im just worried about what the linux software is like ?

You're better off using your primary notebook for note taking. Netbooks typically have smaller keyboards, which make it difficult for note taking. I suggest you try out each individual netbook in person to make sure the keyboard fits comfortably with your hands.

but that would mean hauling my primary notebook around to lectures which wasnt really what i wanted to be doing
plus when i say note taking i mean in short hand so that i can type up complete notes when i get back "home"

another option is buying a cheap used 12-13 inch laptop which would be easier to carry round to lectures than my primary noteook but i was just thinking a netbook would be easier in the long run

another option is buying a cheap used 12-13 inch laptop which would be easier to carry round to lectures than my primary noteook but i was just thinking a netbook would be easier in the long run

If you're going to use this on a daily basis to take notes, I suggest you look for a notebook with a full sized keyboard. What is your specific budget?

as i said i would proabably top out at £200
but if i where going to get a notebook with a full sized keyboard i would probably just end up scrapping that idea and using my primary notebook to take to lectures or writing my notes it seems a waste to have 2 full sized laptops

plus it proabably wouldnt be daily , average 4 lectures a week where i am planning on going

Like I said before, if you're really interested in the idea of owning a netbook, go to a store and try one out for yourself. You don't want to own something that'll give you more trouble in the long run.

i tried a few out in a shop before christmas and i didnt have too much trouble but then really using it in a shop for 5 minutes gives no real idea of how i will manage over a long period of time

Back
Top Bottom