6 or 12 that is the ?

Doninator

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to the board.. I have a hypothetical question

I have been reading alot about memory and its value in gaming and it seems that 6megs seems to be the most that you would need for gaming in general.

With most games being programmed for a 32 bit environment and 64bit starting to take hold.. in the near future do you think that games programmed for the 64bit envirnment will utilize more memory and make systems built with 12 plus more viable?

My reason for asking is that I am getting ready to build a system and am debating 6 or 12 for extended life of the system.

Don

I'm sure that in the future more games and apps will be designed that will take advantage of the increased memory amounts and available bandwidth.

But a simple solution for you would be to build your system with 6GB. That is still pretty much overkill, and then you could always upgrade to 12GB if and when you ever need it.

I agree, That probably is the safest way to go.. I have seen some sweet deals on 12.. plus its always possible that by the time i need to do this that the current memory I will be purchasing will be dicontinued. I had a similiar experience with purchasing a video card, I said to myself bah i just need 1 and got 1 but when I realized I needed 2 it was already discontinued.. memory may not be as harsh on that though. Im hoping because most likely I will be going with 6.

Don

I really don't see a problem with getting more memory down the road. As long as systems are still being built using DDR3 technology, you will be able to get matching modules for your system.

Video cards are a whole different story. What's hot today, is yesterdays entry level card. :rolleyes:

12gigs of ram is absolutely, positively overkill, no reason to even think about that much ram for quite a while. You'd just be wasting money that you could be applying somewhere else.

I believe he's looking to build a Core i7 system, so I think 4GB may be out of the question being that they run a triple channel memory configuration.

Back
Top Bottom