Legalization of Marijuana: Yes or No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they did legalize it, think of the taxes the government could collect. It is one the single largest cash crops in northern California. Mendocino County would be overflowing in tax revenues.

I think if they did legalize it, it would have be be under severe restrictions much like with alcohol and cigarettes.

I think it would be useful to say wether you have ever tried the drug or not - I have myself never tried it however i have been around people who smoke it a lot
I chose yes that it should be legalised however only if it where regulated by the government i would not promote legalisation without this regulation as it would allow drug dealers to carry on as they are . Lets first be honest illegalising the drug is not working at all it is still a very common drug in society and i would much rather it be legalised and the government makes profit from it rather than it be illegal as it is now and criminals both in my country and the countries along the supply line make money from it as currently happens . With the current legislation to illegalise it they will never be able to eradicate its use from society so whats the point in trying with this relativly harmless drug . I am not saying it is completely harmless but compared to other much harder drugs its effects dont seem so bad anymore so i would much rather my tax money is spent on the fight against stronger drugs and more revenue could be collected from the legalisation of this one
Basically here are my main reasons for its legalisation
1)It is just as harmful if not less harmful than alcohol and tobacco and both of those are completely legal i would suggest especially in the case of tobacco the only reason that is actually legal is because of more political reasons than its effects on people
2) It could be grown,harvested,processed and packeged/sold by the government who could add a great deal of tax on top of it and then this tax could be used to do good in society and to educate youngsters on the ill effects of all drugs or to finance much harsher sanctions for drug dealers who try to still sell it under legalisation . Also people could be allowed to grow their own stuff which would eradicate most drug dealers with 2 completely legal supply lines
The quality control process would also ensure that quality is kept constant and ensure no harmful chemicals are added which can cause problems in illegal marijuana use depending on what type you use
3)Whats the point in giving someone a criminal record which could potentially render them jobless regardless of their skills for something that most people try at university or when they are younger anyway . Just to elaborate i knew someone in school whose brother was 23 had completed a 3 year law degree and completed his legal practice course and was applying for training contracts at law firms but none would give him the oppertunity because he had a conviction for possesion of some marijuana back from when he was like 19 at college so he chosen career path was ruined for something a lot of people experiment with when they are young
4)that brings me on to point 5 if it where legal and quality controlled as i said before that would protect teenagers who try it out. lets be honest here and not deny the fact that majority of teenagers between the ages of 15 to 19 will at some point try it and so wouldnt you as a parent rather know that they are getting their drugs from a legal safe source rather than dealing with potentially dangerous and violent drug dealers .
5)IMO marijuana is less damaging to society than alcohol however one is legal the other is not . I have never seen two stoned people having a fight or out on the streets giving the police trouble they are most likely at home chilled out watching tv and getting the munchies whereas i have regularly seen people in town centres and cities on friday and saturday night fighting with each other and the police and generally making a mess of the streets . THe police no need to lock up stoners because they arent posing a danger to people whereas the drunk people hwo take it to far on the nights out end up with a night in the cells which isnt cheap . The only ill effect on society i can see at the moment with marijuana is the drug dealers who are generally involved in all sorts of other criminal activity however if we legalised the drug and make it easy to get hold of you could quite easily eradicate them i know given the choice i would rather deal with a legitimate business than a shady drug dealer .

I mean the bad side to legalisation as i have described is that it would mean an increase in price however it would also liley mean either an increase in quality or more consistent quality and the money could be spent to do good in society and even be used in the fight against stronger drugs which im sure we can all agree should not be legal

Never tried it, but After seeing what Alcohol can do I'm afraid of legalizing it because Alcohol is legal so people think they will be fine in public. With the weed, people are afraid to be caught with it, so they are about 12398127390812x less likely to get behind the wheel while on it compared to alcohol because they might be legal.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, but it totally died when I wrote it.

I smoke it on an almost daily basis. I am against its legalization, because that would invariably mean that it's price would rise.

Not once you add the fat ammounts of tax the government would stamp on top of it under legality

1. Legalization would mean a lower price; thus, related crimes (like theft) would be reduced. All illegal drugs are higher in price because the production, transportation, and sale of the drugs carry heavy risks. When people develop drug habits or addictions, they must somehow come up with the money to support their cravings. Unless a person is wealthy, he or she must often resort to robbery and other crimes to generate the money needed to buy the drugs. Legalization would reduce the risks and thus reduce the prices. There would therefore be less need for the secondary crimes needed to raise money.
http://www.balancedpolitics.org/marijuana_legalization.htm

1. Legalization would mean a lower price; thus, related crimes (like theft) would be reduced. All illegal drugs are higher in price because the production, transportation, and sale of the drugs carry heavy risks. When people develop drug habits or addictions, they must somehow come up with the money to support their cravings. Unless a person is wealthy, he or she must often resort to robbery and other crimes to generate the money needed to buy the drugs. Legalization would reduce the risks and thus reduce the prices. There would therefore be less need for the secondary crimes needed to raise money.
http://www.balancedpolitics.org/marijuana_legalization.htm

You are right, I was wrong. Learned something new today.

Prices should decrease.

I remember in Hawaii, years ago, the national guard had "Operation Green Harvest." Quite a few believed that one of the motivating factors was that by cutting supply, prices would rise. (People that were paranoid for some unknown reason.) I still remember seeing helicopters with the side doors open and pot plants hanging out flying by quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom