New video card trouble

Emachinessux

Solid State Member
Ok so i bought a new msi nvidia geforce 9400 gt for my gateway desktop. when i put it in, my computer did not recognize the card for some reason. the light on my monitor is even orange which means its not getting a signal (although i am currently using an aftermarket ati graphics card).

So i thought i'd try installing software before hardware and when i did i got an error saying that no proper device was found.

SO NOW. im thinking that i would try going back to the onboard vga so i can put the geforce in and everything would work as it should as i could install the software for the card.

But when i went to use the onboard vga, it had the same problem as the geforce and was not working at all. First i tried reseting the bios incase i disabled it somehow and that didn't work at all. So i tried to install the video driver found on the dell website and i got an error message saying ,

"This system does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."
Gateway tech support sucks and keeps telling me to ask "Answers by Gateway" which is a branch of the company that acts as tech support for a fairly heafty fee.

So now im like WTF IS GOING ON, THIS SUCKS ALL I WANNA DO IS PLAY SOME CALL OF DUTY!
How do i get my new video card to work????

If I was in this situation first thing I'd try is plugging in the graphics card, uninstalling all graphics related drivers, disabling the onboard VGA, then installing the new graphics cards drivers.

I've never dealt with onboard VGAs before so there may be some trick.

gateway desktop
So i tried to install the video driver found on the dell website and i got an error message saying ,
Using a driver meant for another system is asking for trouble. However if you'd be so kind as to post the model number of the system you have it would help.

Back
Top Bottom