New ISP

Always use PeerGuardian and make sure it is up to date.
Make sure encryption is enabled.
Change which the ports you use from the default setting.

I've torrented so many things its crazy from Adobe CS4 to GTA 3. I use Cox and they ahven't even warned me at all.

Always use PeerGuardian and make sure it is up to date.
Make sure encryption is enabled.
Change which the ports you use from the default setting.

You know, I've been wondering this for a long time...what do you do to change the ports? I mean, like, what does it affect? Does it affect bandwidth or anything? Or is it just an extra security precaution. Any linkies to help me understand...granted, my ISP could care less...but I'd still like to have my own back. I'm definitely looking into P.G. though.

I got an warning from Qwest, after the warning, they never sent another email or anything.

I got an warning from Qwest, after the warning, they never sent another email or anything.

really? wow i was told they didnt give a hoot so i didnt do anything about it and i've download at least 30 gigs of music and movies and i was never warned or nothing

You know, I've been wondering this for a long time...what do you do to change the ports? I mean, like, what does it affect? Does it affect bandwidth or anything? Or is it just an extra security precaution. Any linkies to help me understand...granted, my ISP could care less...but I'd still like to have my own back. I'm definitely looking into P.G. though.
It's just in the settings of whatever client you use...uTorrent is Options>Preferences>Connection.

Basically, ISPs will know which ports torrent clients use by default, and they might throttle bandwidth on that port or monitor it for copyright infringement or something.

Back
Top Bottom