Vespa scooter or Motorcycle?

ghostFL

Fully Optimized
I'm moving to a small town where a scooter seems excellent and quite the bit of fun. However, I still do a decent amount of highway travel. Average is around 60-70mph on them.

Opinnions and suggestions from any riders?

This is my first bike, btw. Thank you! :)

Price range is around 3-4k for this bike.

I would get the Vespa. I always wanted one, and still want one. I think it was after watching FLCL is when I wanted it.
But they go pretty slow IIRC, so going on the highway with this thing wouldn't be a good idea. I don't think I ever saw an scooter on the highway.

ArtVespaWall.jpg

awesome.

I know its a little out of your question, but why not find a used street bike?

I wouldnt feel to safe on a scooter doin 70 around full size vehicles.

yeah if your driving on the highway I would suggest a bike. you could get them pretty cheap used just make sure they have a clean title cuz they aren't worth crap when they are salvaged. Not to mention that there is no way of proving that the work was done correctly to get it back into working order. I would also do a really thorough inspection because a lot of people will dump their bike and not report it and just swap out the plastics and get a new paint job leaving underlying damage as the only way to tell it happened. Sometimes there is damage that can cause problems down the road such as bent forks or other problems. If you have never rode a bike before it would be smart to get someone who has rode them for a long time and knows how they ride and manuever so they can thoroughly test it as well. Also i know it sounds like something stupid but check the VIN numbers on the engine and frame as well because people will sell stolen bikes with a title to a different bike. Sometimes they can also get a replacement title for a different one from the DMV by telling them their title was lost or stolen. There is a lot of scam artists out there so you gotta be really careful especially with bikes because they are much easier to steal and sell than a car is.

these bikes don't do 60 - 70... it might say that in the marketing stuff but they just don't.

they will go about 50 - 60, I know this cause I overtake them all the time on my bike! and that's only a crappy 125 that tops out at about 70...

to be honest I'd just go with a regular bike rather than a scooter.

as for what you go for with style (tourer/race replica/cruiser/trail etc), that's up to you... I just can't really see why anyone would want a scooter. they look crappy and sound horrible!!

edit:-

just out of interest does your budget or 3 - 4k include just the bike, or have you considered the rider tuition, test, riding gear (like gloves, helmet armoured jacket etc)? all that stuff could cost almost 1k on it's own!

If you get a scooter within 6 months you'll want something bigger..........I'll guarantee it.
If the budget won't allow get a used motorcycle.........plenty of them online.

Here's a brand new Honda Rebel for $4000 MSRP...........nice beginner bike. In this economy you can probably get it for quit a bit less than the $4000 MSRP.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/rebel.aspx

2009_Rebel.jpg

Either way a brain bucket is just as important as the choice of bike you ride. Flesh and asphalt don't mix. I'd recommend a full bucket by Bell. Z.91 standards mean you be around to tell your grandkids about the time you kissed the ass end of a state trooper car on the interstate.
That Honda is a nice ride. The power plant is based off the CB400T engine. I had one, the Hawk that had the CB400T engine. Lots o' torque, low maintenance, and killer gas mileage.

I would recommend a bike.. You don't want to be the "gay dude on the scooter" at this new small town do ya? :p

Especially if you are doing highway travel..

Back
Top Bottom