Good Monitor

kirkman

Baseband Member
Hey, i currently have a samsung 24" 1920x1200 monitor and i was wanting to get a 42" 1080p monitor, i was wondering if you could post some links to a few good tvs that would be under 1200 that would be really good for a monitor.

THANKS

KIRK

Well, I have a 50" plasma 1080p as a monitor. It is a samsung, and it works well. If you do this, do NOT use the d-sub that will probably be on the back of the TV. spend a few extra dollars, and get a DVi to HDMi cable, and use that. Trust me it is worth it.
However, I found out the hard way that TVs aren't great as dedicated PC monitors. The pixels seem to be very far spaced, so there will be black lines between them that will usually be a bother. TVs are meant to be viewed from long distnces, so the picture will be less crisp. TVs will often have dead pixels, which aren't noticeable if used as a TV, so it will not be covered under any warranty. If it has a stuck pixel, it will usually have glass over the screen, so you can't rub it out. Also, if you are like me, near-sighted, you will not be able to find a good angle that is easy on your eyes.
If you are okay with all these things, then I would recommend the 42" westinghouse 1080p monitor.I believe they can be had for under $600 now on tigerdirect, and they have good reviews. The best for this would be a samsung plasma, or a sharp aquos.
If it were up to me, I wouldd go with an aquos.

oh, ok, i have been using my 32" sony hdtv 720p for a movies off my pc, and iv never noticed any black lines.

thanks

KIRK

Wow, 50", you must be using that thing from 20' away huh?

Not to hijack here, but foothead, I need to ask since I will be using a 32" Toshiba LCD as a monitor/htpc soon, what is the benefit of using DVI > HDMI?

would i be able to hook up my hdmi switcher to a samsung 305t and use it instead of my tv and use it for monitor, ps3, and hd satelite?

idk about anyone here, but Vizio makes good smaller tvs and monitors with good quality.
plus its American :)

TBH, I would never use a TV as a monitor. Why not just get a console if your going to do that? A 42" TV is 1920x1080, a 30" monitor is 2560x1600. The image quality is just not going to be as good as it should be.

Back
Top Bottom