First Gaming comp ( Im a Noob )

i dont want to sound like im being to picky but, id prefer brand-new sry Ronan, but if i have no choice i will reconsider...

after hours of researching i have found pretty good looking motherboard a 780i SLI FTW http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188027&Tpk=780i ftw looked up some vids on youtube about it and heard it was pretty decent... but idk im a noob :S

It's your choice. I have sold to members on this forum before. I was just trying to save you money and get me some money for college supplies.

I'd go with AMD on this one.
You don't need a phenom II, so a phenom 9600 should be fine. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244
for the mobo, I'd get the ECS black series HDMI model. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135075
get probably 4 gb RAM, faster is better. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298
I have the raidmax ares case, and it is nice for a budget build. (not available in CA)
You only need a 580 watt PSU, but if you are getting an expensive graphics card, get a nice one, like OCZ.
For the optical drive, and HD, I'll let you choose.
For graphics, you should get probably a Radeon HD 4000 series. A 4850 would be perfect for you.
Get an asus monitor. they are the best. what general size do you want?
For the OS, I say W7 unless you want to try something new and go linux.

I will find on newegg.ca and post in a few.

Alright. Here's an hours worth of work for you. This is what I've come up with. This will easily last you 2-3 years (with maybe a GPU upgrade, or a CPU upgrade way down the road)

All prices CAD:
CPU - AMD PII X4 955 - $296
MB - Gigabyte 790X - $175 (if someone can find a better DDR3 board, please post! The ASUS all seem to have problems with the 955, so I posted this one. Looks good, though)
RAM - G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 - $72
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB - $115
Optical - Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner - $30
PSU - OCZ 600W StealthxStream - $88
GPU - Sapphire 4870 512MB - $180
Case - Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $70

Total Build Price = ~$1026 CAD (not factoring in shipping or rebates)

I'll post monitor and keyboard/mouse in a bit. Do you need speakers too?

Edit:
Here are a couple monitors. Not sure what size you are looking for...
Asus 19"
Asus 21.5"

And a nice keyboard/mouse combo

All prices CAD:
CPU - AMD PII X4 955 - $296
MB - Gigabyte 790X - $175 (if someone can find a better DDR3 board, please post! The ASUS all seem to have problems with the 955, so I posted this one. Looks good, though)
RAM - G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 - $72
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB - $115
Optical - Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner - $30
PSU - OCZ 600W StealthxStream - $88
GPU - Sapphire 4870 512MB - $180
Case - Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $70
Agree with this except I would make a few changes:

- I would go with the Phenom II 940 as I don't think the 955 is worth a full $100 for the DDR3 support. PII doesn't really benefit from DDR3 anyway.
- Since you don't need DDR3 support, I would swap the 790X board for a 790GX, it will even support the 955 if you want it to.
- Use 2x2GB DDR2 1066.
- And there are actually HD 4870s for as low as $125. This one even has an improved cooler and is factory overclocked.

Yeah I gotta agree with Worship here as well. The 955 really isn't much of an improvement over the 940. DDR3 doesn't really do much unless you are doing serious overclocking so I would go with the 940 here as well. And that deal on the 4870 is crazy. I can't believe they are that cheap now. You could save some money and go with the DDR2 setup which will still be close to the same performance wise. I really don't think that the difference justifies the difference in price right now.

To be honest, all of these computers are way overkill for counterstrike and WoW. If he wants to play crysis and the like, then yeah, but for counterstrike... well, he's not gonna be using half of the hardwares capabilities.

To be honest, all of these computers are way overkill for counterstrike and WoW. If he wants to play crysis and the like, then yeah, but for counterstrike... well, he's not gonna be using half of the hardwares capabilities.

Yeah but he said he wants the system to last a few years and also he doesn't just play counterstrike and WoW.
I plan to play a variety of games like CounterStrike,Warhammer,WoW,Cod4,Exteel and more
This system would give him the option to play other games if he wants to. I'm sure he isn't going to be playing only counterstrike and WoW only for the rest of the time he has this rig. It is well worth the cost to be able to play anything he pleases IMO.

I agree that the system is a little overkill for CS:S and WoW but will also give him longevity, better ability to play newer games if he wants to and a better system for relatively close to the same price he would pay for a lower quality build. With the deals and price drops of most of the parts listed he would be getting a very good system well under his budget.

ok, thanks

well, he can make an i7 920 and like a 285 with that sort of cash... maybe even a 295/4870x2

Parts from Canadian stores are a lot higher then US. He can't go that high.

- I would go with the Phenom II 940 as I don't think the 955 is worth a full $100 for the DDR3 support. PII doesn't really benefit from DDR3 anyway.
- Since you don't need DDR3 support, I would swap the 790X board for a 790GX, it will even support the 955 if you want it to.
- Use 2x2GB DDR2 1066.
- And there are actually HD 4870s for as low as $125. This one even has an improved cooler and is factory overclocked.

He is in canada lol

- Use 2x2GB DDR2 1066.

Well, he is buying from newegg.ca, so mine was only 25 USD more when you compare them. Plus, I'm sorry, but I just trust Sapphire a lot more. They are one of the best GPU makers out there. And, he said he wanted it to look good. IMHO, that sapphire is sleek and sexy, that power cooler..is well...just kind odd looking without a housed cooler.

As for the DDR3 situation, I was not aware of the low performance gains over the PII 940, and since he said he wanted it to last quite a while, that's why I posted that build. I figured that since he can afford it, it would save him from upgrading earlier in the long run.

Yeah I gotta agree with Worship here as well. The 955 really isn't much of an improvement over the 940. DDR3 doesn't really do much unless you are doing serious overclocking so I would go with the 940 here as well. And that deal on the 4870 is crazy. I can't believe they are that cheap now. You could save some money and go with the DDR2 setup which will still be close to the same performance wise. I really don't think that the difference justifies the difference in price right now.

Again, I wasn't too aware of the differences ^^

My 2 cents on this; if you want your computer to last more than 2.5 years: Go big or go home.

Yeah but he said he wants the system to last a few years and also he doesn't just play counterstrike and WoW.
This system would give him the option to play other games if he wants to. I'm sure he isn't going to be playing only counterstrike and WoW only for the rest of the time he has this rig. It is well worth the cost to be able to play anything he pleases IMO.

I agree that the system is a little overkill for CS:S and WoW but will also give him longevity, better ability to play newer games if he wants to and a better system for relatively close to the same price he would pay for a lower quality build. With the deals and price drops of most of the parts listed he would be getting a very good system well under his budget.

This is my thoughts. Who can honestly say they'll still ONLY be playing CS:S and WoW 3 years from now? Tis why I went a bit "overboard". He'll be getting one hell of a system, no matter if he goes with parts I suggested, worship suggested, or both of suggested. We'll just have to see what the OP says.

Plus, I'm sorry, but I just trust Sapphire a lot more. They are one of the best GPU makers out there. And, he said he wanted it to look good. IMHO, that sapphire is sleek and sexy, that power cooler..is well...just kind odd looking without a housed cooler.
That's funny because the general consensus is that if Sapphire didn't manufacture ATi's boards for many other partners, they'd have been out of business a long time ago. :D
He is in canada lol
Well, he is buying from newegg.ca
D'oh.

Well, my vote now goes to the 1GB ASUS. Same price as the 512MB sapphire.

I'd also agree that he should go with the 955 now that the price difference is smaller. but I'd go with a DDR3 790GX board as the integrated GPU is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom