Installing Windows 7.

Sean7341

Beta member
I'm trying to install Windows 7. I have everything burnt, and everything ready, I'm just having one problem with partitioning.

Here it is:

I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS 410(E6600 @ 2.4Ghz, Nvidia 8600GTS, 2GB RAM)

When I go to 'Computer Management' in my Administrative Tools and open the 'Disk Management' I have this page.

1.jpg

That unallocated area was the largest size I could make it when I originally hit "Shrink Volume" on my C drive. I want to make it 20gb, but it won't let me make it larger than 1gb.

What can I do to make this partition larger? Thanks.

I got rid of the unallocated area, but I still can't make a bigger partition.

The problem right from the start is trying to shrink the Vista primary while you are booting from it at the same time. The partitioning tool in the Disk Management tool is intended for secondary partitions not the OS boot primary.

When booting up with the Vista dvd itself if you have recovery disk the drive tools included on that will have the option to resize the primary allowing enough room for the second 7 primary. The size of that will depend on how much free space is seen on the Vista primary itself.

The option is also seen for the use of a 3rd party drive partitioning tool where you boot from that cd without Windows being loaded. While some have seen problems shrinking primaries on prebuilt systems for some unknown reason the free Linux drive tool GParted generally works well.

Back
Top Bottom