old computer randomly freezes up

Are you sure you don't have any viruses or startup programs/processes that are bogging it down? With a processor that slow, little things could really slow it down, especially seeing that it's a single core and at those temps.

I just did a clean install of xp and installed avg this morning after swapping hds and so far no freezes and the system is a lot faster. I don't know if the temp will be an issue in the long run because it now runs at 40c idle and 50ish when under load and over the summer that part of the building is uninsulated and gets direct sun light for most of the day. So come july that computer will be pretty much sitting in an oven.

the computer doesn't freeze when you use it anymore however if it is left for a day or so sometimes when you move the mouse to turn the monitor back on it won't and needs to be reset.

the computer doesn't freeze up when you use it anymore however if you leave it for a while and come back when you wiggle the mouse to turn the monitor back on it won't and will need to be reset

Do you have all the latest driver updates for that computer?

Shot in the dark. . .

Do you have a known good power you can swap in? Bad PSUs have been known to cause similar problems with comps coming out of standby.

the psu is 500 watts which is already overkill for this system. or could that be the problem, too much power?

Are mobo drivers important? I didn't ever install any drivers for this mobo. I don't even really know what mobo this is.

Back
Top Bottom