Overclocking RAM

50mobber

In Runtime
i was wondering if you could buy RAM with low latency and overclock it and keep the low latency.

Example.. I have G. Skill DDR2 1066 with a latency of 5-5-5-15 could i buy a one with at DDR2 800 with latency 4-4-4-12 and overclock it too DDR2 1000 or DDR21066?

It all depends on the memory. Some overclock well with tight (low) timings, others will need to have the timings loosened up (raised) to operate properly when overclocked.

I would suggest buying another stick of memory that matches your current sticks. DDR2 1066 are really no more expensive then the DDR2 800 modules.

yea i know there about the same price. The only reason i was looking at the DDR2 800 was because they had lower latency.

Does anyone any good experiences with oc ram with low timings

I have DDR 800 which is capable of running at 4-4-4-12. I have found that to reach >900 DDR, I have to increase the timings to 5-5-5-15. Every kit is different though and your modules may be better than mine.

would it be possible to underclock my current RAM in order to achieve lower timing.

Since my Ram can run at 533mhz but my FBS is 340Mhz..

can someone teach me or point me to an easy read about RAM and timings and latency. I'd really like to get understand it better.

latency number reflect how many click of the system clock it takes for the RAM to respond....

the lower the number the faster the RAM's respond...

would it be possible to underclock my current RAM in order to achieve lower timing.

Since my Ram can run at 533mhz but my FBS is 340Mhz..
Yea, you could underclock your memory to achieve the lower timings, but that will also lower the performance of the memory.

can someone teach me or point me to an easy read about RAM and timings and latency. I'd really like to get understand it better.
Here ya go: Corsair Memory Basics Presentation

Yea, you could underclock your memory to achieve the lower timings, but that will also lower the performance of the memory.

Do you mean speed? Cuz i have DDR21066 so i runs at 533mhz but my FSB is 355mhz so its bottlenecking. So i was thinking i could underclock it to maybe 400mhz and get lower timing.

Could i do that or am i missing something here?

Back
Top Bottom