iBuyPower computers... has anyone had any trouble with them?

I kept my computer, most the faults that i had i fixed on my own, jsut a couple left, but I plan on building a new rig so I'm thinking about starting to sell it peice by piece.

By the way, here's my system specs:

Case ( Tuniq 3 Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Silver )
Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- [$40 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Thermaltake Toughpower W0172RU Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( [New !!!] iBUYPOWER Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit --- [for INTEL CPU] )
Motherboard ( [===Support QX9650 & 3-Way SLI===] Asus P5N-T Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, 3-Way PCI-E M )
Memory ( 4096MB [1024MB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader )
Video Card ( 2x eVGA NVIDIA 260-216)
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
2nd Hard Drive ( 160 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
CD/DVD Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Reader & DVD±R/±RW Burner Internal Combo Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Sony Dual Format/Double Layer 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Beige )
Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Beige )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 32-Bit )

someone else I talked to mentioned that iBuyPower is known for using great components except for power supplies, which they buy in large quantity and very low quality. I think I remember reading somewhere that a power supply can hold it together enough to power simple things like fans and hard drives and coolers, but still not provide high-enough-quality power to run the processor. Does that sound right?

try taking the motherboard out of the case and running it out of the case on a cardboard box or table or workbench. it may be that during shipping the board or something else came loose and just needs to be fully reset in the case. My last rig did that when I took it to my brothers house for a week and when I got home it would power on but not post. (all the fans spun but no signal to monitor) After taking it all out and putting it all back together it worked flawless. Also for some reason mine would post and boot if I hit the reset button when it was in that state of the fans spinning but no post. Give that a shot as well.

try taking the motherboard out of the case and running it out of the case on a cardboard box or table or workbench. it may be that during shipping the board or something else came loose and just needs to be fully reset in the case. My last rig did that when I took it to my brothers house for a week and when I got home it would power on but not post. (all the fans spun but no signal to monitor) After taking it all out and putting it all back together it worked flawless. Also for some reason mine would post and boot if I hit the reset button when it was in that state of the fans spinning but no post. Give that a shot as well.
Like PD said, make sure that there are no shorts due to the pins on the motherboard touching the motherboard tray. I had this problem on my first build because i forgot to put one of the motherboard seats and just screwed the mb directly into the mb tray.

That's pretty interesting to hear. I can't follow your advice for the moment, though, as I've returned the computer to iBuyPower to get it running as soon as possible. I've been without my primary computer for too long now, I'm just ready to get the thing running again.

I second the carboard box thing. My friend bought a computer from them, and the actually forgot to put any risers under the mobo, and it shorted it out. In the end, his IDE died, but everything else still worked.

I just thought that was the stupidest thing ever.

Back
Top Bottom