Blue Ray drives?

Yup. Not only the movies, but they also offer more than five times the storage capacity of DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single layer disc and 50GB on a dual layer disc.

The first that I can think of is being able to store 25 GB on a single layer disc or 50 GB on a dual layer. The price needs to drop some more for it to become a reasonable cost.

AR, you beat me to it!

What was the purpose of a DVD drive? Your making it sound like nothing to be bothered about.

Blu-Ray will become more the norm over the years, and you'll probably start to see games using the technology at some point, along with DVD's, and the CD versions (they are dying out now) will go completly.

Some Blu-Ray drives won't burn I'm guessing, as they'll just be there to read discs.

yeah some people buy the read only ones because they hook their rig up to their TV as a monitor and it is cheaper to buy a Blu-Ray drive for a comp than it is to buy one that sits on your TV. Plus you get much more use out of it when its on your computer.

I've been hearing in order to see Bluray at it's full potential you need to buy special software on top of buying the drive itself. What's up with that?

I don't see CDs dying out anytime soon however. Not all programs are a bijillion gigabytes. In fact the trend seems to be for smaller programs.

What was the purpose of a DVD drive? Your making it sound like nothing to be bothered about.

Blu-Ray will become more the norm over the years, and you'll probably start to see games using the technology at some point, along with DVD's, and the CD versions (they are dying out now) will go completly.

Some Blu-Ray drives won't burn I'm guessing, as they'll just be there to read discs.

I agree, but at this point DVDs are a cheap reliable form of optical data storage. Blu-Ray will be also, but it's not quite there yet at least with regard to cost.

I remeber buying anolog audio ROM disks...Er, vinyl records!

I've been hearing in order to see Bluray at it's full potential you need to buy special software on top of buying the drive itself. What's up with that?

Yup. That's just LG's way of screwing people over. I bought one of theirs, and it said it came with software "to get your movies playing on your computer in a matter of minutes"
They never mentioned in HD
Or on a blu-ray. It came with a trial of some very crappy DVD player with almost 2 second audio lag.

Back
Top Bottom