IDE and SATA cables

dAnk shEEt

Solid State Member
ok right now my computer is useing 2 IDE cables one for my disk drives and the other is for my HDDs. Im in the middle of buying a new mobo and i cant find one with 2 IDE ports. Is there anything i need to do to change my HDDs from IDE connection to SATA? And if i do can i use the same HDDs i have right now? They are both WD in sure on the model number.
Thanks

ok right now my computer is useing 2 IDE cables one for my disk drives and the other is for my HDDs. Im in the middle of buying a new mobo and i cant find one with 2 IDE ports. Is there anything i need to do to change my HDDs from IDE connection to SATA? And if i do can i use the same HDDs i have right now? They are both WD in sure on the model number.
Thanks

do the hard drives you have have SATA connectors?

You could place both hard drives on the same IDE cable/connector on the motherboard, and then purchase a SATA optical drive.

You could place both hard drives on the same IDE cable/connector on the motherboard, and then purchase a SATA optical drive.
This is what I did when I bought new components. It's very rare anymore to find a motherboard with 2 ide channels for some reason. I had 2 ide hard drives I wanted to use with my new system so I bought a SATA optical drive. You can get them for cheap these days.

I was reading this post and Ive seen multiple people say SATA is much faster.

Is the IDE to SATA conversion cable capable of converting the speed? or is that just something to use when you dont have enough SATA outlets?

Back
Top Bottom