how do i fix this?

when I am trying to format my hard disk using a bootable Win XP cd,I get an error message "STOP:C0000221 unknown Hard error/systemroot/system32/ntdll.dll" immediately after loading files on its next...

You need to make your own thread. Please to not jack the OPs thread and get us off track.

Forget the 3 posts above this. OP, still waiting to see what you've tried so far...

But could the computer still read the "size" off of the chip on the HDD? Bad platter idea is sounding pretty good to me.

OP: To confirm..You have tried reformatting and checking the jumpers correct?

would i loose any of my info that i have on my HDD if i reformat?

As a rule of thumb, before I begin working on a clients computer, I make a backup image using Acronis True Image software to an external hard drive. This will prevent any data loss while you work on your existing operating system. If your hard drive is failing and you cannot create a viable image, you could try manually backing up the data by using copy and paste to an external hard drive. If both of these methods are unsuccessful, and data is very important, I would consider contacting a professional before you continue on this path.

Best Regards

Yes. All info on the drive will be wiped out.

so when i wipe them clean will i have to re-install Vista?
or will that stay?
and would the back-up option be possible to save everything to an external drive?
as long as i have enough space on the external drive
i would be okay
correct?

ALL gone.
I would suggest getting the formatter software for that brand drive. Do a re-certify which writes all zero's to the drive then tests for bad sectors when it reads them back. Run the format tool after that and then install your OS.
As for doing a backup, some of that software is not worth the powder to blow it up. Bad backups can leave you hanging out to dry. I would suggest you back up you data files like your pics and music using the old fashion drag and drop to another external drive and just do a fresh clean install. Besides If you're running vista it makes it a damn site easier to slip SP2 in on a clean install.

And finally, you will never seen 1.5TB on that drive. On my 1TB drive it formatted out to 937GB. It's just the way that comes out when you do a format. The way it's done makes the sectors larger than the factory defaults. So it appears you lose some space when you really don't. You do lose a little bit for overhead but nothing like what you lost or have appeared to have lost. Re-certify the drive and use the makers software to set it up.

so when i wipe them clean will i have to re-install Vista? or will that stay?
Yes, you will have to reinstall Vista and any programs/apps if it's installed on the 1.5TB drive.

and would the back-up option be possible to save everything to an external drive?
as long as i have enough space on the external drive
i would be okay
correct?
Yes, you can use that option to back up your info to an external drive. You could just save any files, folders, music, pics, etc. to an external or even another drive in the system if available.

I would also agree with setishock's suggestion of downloading the drive utility from the manufacturer's website and using that to set up the drive. :D

Back
Top Bottom