Who here uses linux?

I've used 3 different distros of linux: Fedora, Ubuntu, and Sabayon (sp?). Out of all of them, the latter 2 were the easiest to use. However, you just can't beat windows. I'm not a fan of paying $100+ for an operating system, but if I pay $100+ and everything "just works", then I'm fine with it. I'd rather pay and have something work and be user friendly (yes, I do believe windows is user friendly) than get something for free and waste my time with all the rigamarow trying to figure out how to do a simple task. The only time I've used linux (the above) is when my computer crashed a long time ago and I needed something to use. The only things I had time to figure out were typing a document (have fun with setting up printers) and browsing the internet. Everything else seemed way too complicated and time consuming...and all of that root work or whatever! What a PITA!!

I do love linux's HDD partitioner though!

My 2 cents..

I use debian for my servers, for the more advanced users its just what i like :) Ubuntu i cannot stand, just dont like the feel and look of it.. Fedora is okay, but i had trouble running it on my computer.

i use ubuntu when i do my scripting stuff. otherwise i run on vista buisness cause its more compatible for what i do.

I've used Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu (well, Xubuntu and Kubuntu too but they are basically the same thing...), a bit of Gentoo, Backtrack 2, and Debian. I've played around with FreeBSD too... but very little.

I just got eeebuntu up and running on my Eee PC. I think it is a lot better than the stoock Xandros Linux, but it has a few things to improve on-
1. The screen brightness settings change every time the resolution changes. This happens to me a lot, as I play some fullscreen games on here. When I put it back to the normal res., It reverts to the default brightness, not the one I had set.
2. The interface on here isn't very good if I want to watch a youtube video or look at pics in firefox. I like to have the dock set so it doesn't minimize, but this makes the windows smaller so the dock isn't covered up. It won;t let me set it to automatically cover it up.
3. When booting up, it does the whole loading thing very quickly, then hangs on a black screen for about 20 seconds before the pointer appears. It then takes 10 more seconds before the desktop loads. They could have just made the load screen take longer, so I won't be thinking that something might be wrong with the installation on the first bootup.
4. It will NOT let me log in as Root. I have tried everything to do this, but still no luck. Apparently, the file you modify to get root permissions set up in the login screen has been moved, and nobody knows where it is now.
5. There is a small bit of trackpad lag. It isn't much, but when I try to click on one of the buttons in the corner of the window, such as the minimize, I will ofteen miss, and push the shutdown button, which will cause the computer to hang for 5-10 seconds, then make the shutdown menu pop up.

None of these things are too bad, but they are annoying. I like eeebuntu overall, but I think I will eventually put either a full Debian 5.0 install or get a bigger SSD and hackintosh it.

4. It will NOT let me log in as Root. I have tried everything to do this, but still no luck. Apparently, the file you modify to get root permissions set up in the login screen has been moved, and nobody knows where it is now.

You want to log in as root...in a graphical session? :confused:

Any task you might need to perform as root can be prefixed by 'sudo' at the command-line. It's far more secure that way.

You want to log in as root...in a graphical session? :confused:

Any task you might need to perform as root can be prefixed by 'sudo' at the command-line. It's far more secure that way.

I have frets on fire, and I can't add new songs unless I am actually logged in as root. I have no idea why, but that is what the site said. Anyway, the problem is that the config file is moved, and i can't find it. There are also a few permissions I need to change, so that is not all. If you know, please post it, because I am at a loss right now.

I have frets on fire, and I can't add new songs unless I am actually logged in as root. I have no idea why, but that is what the site said. Anyway, the problem is that the config file is moved, and i can't find it. There are also a few permissions I need to change, so that is not all. If you know, please post it, because I am at a loss right now.

Provided this Eeebuntu uses GDM, the file you're after is /etc/gdm/gdm.conf I think.

Is this a flash-based browser game or one that you install on your machine? If it's the latter, try launching it as root from the terminal. It's probably stored somewhere in /usr/bin.

Back
Top Bottom